Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: A fine reason to ban weapons

[ QUOTE ]
Liberty is a compromise as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to live in a society where anyone is at liberty to do anything they like regardless of the consequences to others.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not liberty.

[ QUOTE ]
Have your guns, but lock them up at a gun club is all I want, if you believe I am stomping all over your civil liberties then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]
So be it? One big reason people buy guns here is for personal defense. There have been many studies over the years on defensive gun use and the range is about 800,000-3.6 million defenisve uses per year. Your proposal would probably garauntee that people would be less safe. How do you justify endangering the lives of possibly millions of people? Have you thought about the costs to society such a plan would entail and whether they outweigh whatever benefits you think there'd be?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look, I know that my drunk driving analogy is a radical way to look at it, but after all the meaningful discourse we've had on this thread, I think you can do better than "You are wrong."

[/ QUOTE ]

No I can't do better. Unless I'm miss-reading you your saying that prevention has no place in society, what will be will be, the best we can do is clean up the mess after. I think your wrong.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to be civil, something that does not come naturally to us in the colonies, so I will cut to the chase. Yes, you are full of crap.

The reason is that you are trying to impose your view on others without justification.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have justification. I want to prevent accidental deaths.

[ QUOTE ]
People who would ban guns

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to ban guns.

[ QUOTE ]
on't even try to justify it on moral grounds (because they can't make any case for it). They just say that they don't believe that people should have guns, or it is their educated opinion, or that they would feel safer, or there would be fewer accidental shootings, or etc., etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. It's a safty issue, it's got nothing to do with morals.

[ QUOTE ]
Which gets us to the bottom line, which is that my guns are none of your business. Nothing personal, but if what I do in my house does not have any impact on you except to increase your paranoia, and if I am not breaking any laws, then it is none of your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, your guns are none of my business. And I have no wish for them to be. But have I no right to be concerned as to who may have access to those guns. As I said in an earlier post a friend keeps his rifle on top of the wardrobe and I think this is wrong but the law says it's OK. I think that law should be changed. It's my business if I think a law(s) are flawed and it's my right to try and affect change if I so wish.

[ QUOTE ]
(I will ignore the issue of victimless crimes for now.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't. That is my main problem with the gun laws as they stand. If you think the benefits (i.e reduced crime etc) outweigh a few (and yes I know it's only few) accidental deaths then say so because I don't believe I am affecting any of your fundamental rights.

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing moral or immoral about a gun. It is a tool, an inanimate object. The only possible moral issue is in its use, which is a function of the decisions and actions of the owner. My use of a gun, to the extent that it affects you, is certainly your business. My ownership of a gun is my business, and your opinions and beliefs are irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said above, as far as I'm concerned it's not a moral issue. And I have no problem with almost anybody owning a gun. My main problem is with where they keep those weapons and how they are safeguarded against improper use.