Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 06-08-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: History Channel, Breaking Vegas and Positively 5th Street

I'm so glad that I get to be the first person in this thread to tell you that you're an idiot.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:27 AM

Now I know how the History Channel comes up with all those amazing facts -- they make them up!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:04 PM

This show could have been better if they would have had Elix Powers acting the role of Jim McManus.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in positively fifth street mcmanus says he made a deal with hasan and another player in the satellite where he paid them each i think $1500 because they made a save, but on the tv show it says mcmanus bought his wife a new ring with his leftover money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Positively Fifth Street also said that he spent what little remained of his BR on some expensive jewelry for his wife before the ME started.

What the show left out was that McManus went to Vegas with some of his own savings in addition to the advance he got from Harpers.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the show left out was that McManus went to Vegas with some of his own savings in addition to the advance he got from Harpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched the first 15 minutes or so and they did say that his advance was only $4,000 & the buy in is $10,000.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:56 PM

Breaking Vegas is one of the most craptacular shows I've ever seen. The "reenactments" are horrendous. Having the actors "break down the fourth wall" and talk directly into the camera is hilariously bad.

What bothered me most about the show was how it didn't delve into the Binion murder trial. That, if I remember correctly, was the main angle of the magazine article.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:08 PM

OK I hate to keep this post alive but here goes...
I missed the original airing of the show, so stayed up to catch it at like 1 a.m...
I agree it was terrible. Here's what sticks out most in my mind...
1st- When he arrives with his 4k, after the $1000 buy-in for the sattelite and the $2500 for the ring, he's down to his last $500 so what does he do? Go to the Gentleman's club for the "full Vegas experience". Hahaha! The best part is when he tells the lady he's broke, and she says "You gotta pay if you wanna play".

Ok next, the one part I did enjoy was the interview with TJ at the end, where he was discussing his bluff on the last hand. He indicated he knew McManus had AK and was trying to push him off his hand. He bluffed, it didn't work, period. How refreshing. TJ is a class act compared to Annie Duke and her comments after last year's WSOP when she was caught/eliminated in a very similar situation, and her comments were to the effect of "any good player would not have called me with A high". My hat's off to TJ... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have not read either the Harper's article or Positively 5th Street, although I heard the book is very good and its on my list to read. All I can say is the History Channel did a terrible job with this project...
Old 06-08-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sheesh, some of you guys are such poker snobs. I’m surprised nobody complained that Jesus was wearing the wrong hat.

The intended audience is not the multi-tabling, 1000 hands a day, 2+2er. It’s the casual poker player.

OK, the show was not well made but it was moderately entertaining. It will probably bring in some new players. Shows like this are good for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can at least get the facts right. This event happened years before the World Poker Tour existed and yet in the show some guy goes up to TJ and tells him that he's seen him on the World Poker Tour.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:47 PM

But it was re-enacted AFTER the WPT became popular, so it makes perfect sense!

This is not the same History Channel which reeled me in with Military Blunders.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:52 PM

I read Jims book and watched that horrible show and what really bothers me is that I've been relying on the history channel for all of my historical facts/info since I graduated highschool. Now there is no telling how much of it was false or made up. If they cant even get that show right when there is a book that is less than 5 years old to go by how can I ever trust them for historical facts of events that happened thousands of years ago. I feel like my whole life up to this point has been a lie.

P.S. I bet Jim's wife is pissed pissed pissed at the way they portrayed him at the strip club which is absolutely not the way it happened in the book.