Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: When to Start Multi-Tabling...?

Going from 4 to anything more than four is the biggest jump there is, I think. Looking at two monitors instead of one is a strange adjustment at first. I used to time out or just get really strangely flustered for a while when I first tried 5, with the 5th on a separate monitor.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have started a long time ago. You're giving money away, and I have no idea how you fight the boredom.

[/ QUOTE ]

The boredom is a serious issue. I try to watch everything closely and take notes on everybody. I also play a game where I try to predict the first three to get knocked out and who I'm likely to be playing around the bubble. It's surprisingly easy to identify them even after only a round or two.

I'm not sure about throwing money away. If you risk $100/hour at a single table or $100/hour multi-tabling, if you can maintain a similar ROI there is no difference to your roll. I know, a $100 table will give you < ROI but I figure multi-tabling must also reduce your ROI at lower levels.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:31 PM

If you are concerned at all about risk of ruin, you need a much bigger bankroll to say single table the $109s as oppossed to playing 5 tables in the $22s.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are concerned at all about risk of ruin, you need a much bigger bankroll to say single table the $109s as oppossed to playing 5 tables in the $22s.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying variance would be much higher single-tabling the $109s than muti-tabling the $22s even if your ROI was similar?

I'm in no danger of moving to the $109s anytime soon anyway... I was only speaking theoretically.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying variance would be much higher single-tabling the $109s than muti-tabling the $22s even if your ROI was similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's saying your ROI won't be similar. To invest the same amount single-tabling as you would multi-tabling, you're going to be putting yourself in tougher games.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:44 PM

It doesn't matter what the game is. The more games you play, the more time variance has to even itself out, bringing you closer to your expected results. That's one reason why some people would rather multi-table than move up limits, even if they're good enough to play much higher. At a higher level, betting for more money but on fewer tables, you may never recover from a bout of bad variance. Playing a high number of games at a lower level, you'll almost always recover from a bad streak if you know your game. So playing four games of 5/10 will always be safer than playing one game of 20/40.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:17 PM

Multitable becuase one STT at a time is boring.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:37 PM

I always multi-table now, until the blinds hit 50-100 there isn't very much to do. I play on another table of pot-limit Omaha or small stakes 6 max NLHE. There doesn't seem to be a great gain in identifying all the loose players as they are often all knocked out before 50-100.

If I make it to the last 5 then I, usually but not if the other game is good, close my other games and consentrate on the SnG.

Playing two table seems to inprove my play on both as I'm inclined to be tighter preflop which must be good.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:52 PM

If your ROI is the same.

If you have a $436 buyin roll you are busted if you are OOTM 4 in a row in the $109s, but you would have to be OOTM 20 times in a row in the $22s. Just because you play 4 at a time doesn't mean you will have OOTM streaks 4 times as long.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing two table seems to inprove my play on both as I'm inclined to be tighter preflop which must be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am exactly the same way. I have experimented with 1, 2, 3 & 4 tables and the best game for me is 2 at time. I get too bored with 1 (start to play too many hands) and 3 & 4 get too crazy for me around bubble time.

2 at a time is perfect for me. I can still surf the net, read this forum, pay my bills, etc...but also still get a read on players and not feel overwhelmed come bubble time.