Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Default When to Start Multi-Tabling...?

I've been playing since January, and have since moved through the $5.50s, $11s, and am currently playing the $22s. I almost have enough of a roll to move to the $33s. I've almost exclusively single-tabled these past few months.

My goal at first was to just learn how to play poker, and not worry too much about my bankroll as long as I didn't constantly have to re-load. Since I've been able to move up carefully, while also "slowly" building my bankroll, I've decided to shift into bankroll-building mode.

My question is, should I continue to single-table for a while and attempt to push into ever higher levels, or stay at the $22s (or drop back to the $11s) and start multi-tabling?

Another thought is to alternate sessions: multi-table a lower level one session and single-table the higher level the next.

Any thoughts on this, and comments from your own personal experience would be appreciated.

(BTW - I spent about twenty minutes searching for an older post on this topic with no luck. Since I'm sure it must have been covered multiple times, I can only conclude that I suck using the 2+2 search feature.)
Old 05-07-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: When to Start Multi-Tabling...?

No one can really answer for you so I'll just tell you my experience.

I wanted to multi-table, but not with overlap. When I got a monitor that could handle 4 tables I started playing 2. When that was easy, I played 3. When that was easy, I played 4, which is where I'm at now and thinking about getting set up to go for 5->6->7->8 tables.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:25 PM

First learning how to multi-table can be kind of rough. Once you get used to it, though, every other table you add gets easier.

Dropping down a level to learn to multi-table isn't a bad idea, especially since you generally will make a little less per table no matter how good you are at multi-tabling. There's no way to tell how important it might be for you to do that, since it's an individual thing. You might do just fine at the level you're at.

More important is the speed at which you add more tables. You might want to try to play two tables for a few hours or a day or two, then three tables the same way, etc. Just so you have enough time to deal with stress and boredom on an increased number of tables, and see what they do to your play.

I think almost anyone can play two tables just about as well as they can play one, but it varies from there when it comes to adding other tables. And it all takes a bit of getting used to. Don't sweat it too much; it will probably be a bit easier than you think it will. The hardest thing is going from say 4 to five tables, because it's a situation where you have to look back and forth at more than one monitor at a time, if you're doing the standard four at one table.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:26 PM

I remember trying to add tables at first when I was playing cash games. I had a few gos at it but just couldn't quite get it. then one day it was just as easy to play 2 as 1 for me so I added a 3rd and that was fine.

then I started playing sngs and added a 4th. (this was at the 22s) After doing that for a while I added a monitor and jumped to 6 and then to 8. (this was at the 30s which were my normal level at that point)

i dont know take it slow and just keep adding them as u see fit. i really think playing 2 tables is really close to exactly the same as playing 1. its funny how slow playing 1 table is after playing 8 for a few hundred hours.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:26 PM

If you're just beginning, single tabling is a good idea. You will learn the most about SNGs single tabling. If you are a winning player at the 22s and have built up a roll for the 33s I'm sure you are generally on the right track. My advice would be to start 2 tabling the 11s, then 3, then 4, and once you can 4 table like it is easy move up to 4 at the 22s.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:49 PM

You will know when to add tables. It is when you get impatient/bored when playing.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:50 PM

No need to drop for 2 tabling because I am convinced that this merely kills boredom and helps your game. 4 tabling, I would say go to the 11s and practice making the +EV decision on every hand with 4 tables up. This takes a few sets especially if you are watching TV and talking on IM.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:07 PM

Doing 2-tables shouln't be a problem at all and there should be no need to drop a level or two. If you want to jump right into 3-4 tabling, I'd suggest moving down to start. I think you'll find that initially bubble play is overwhelming if you are bubbling on 3-4 tables. Early play for me almost always boring, even with multiple tables open, and I find myself reading 2+2 in my spare time.

Eventually you'll get a feel for more tables and anything less will be REALLY slow. You'll also try to find ways to add even more tables. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2005, 03:12 PM

You should have started a long time ago. You're giving money away, and I have no idea how you fight the boredom.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:14 PM

Also, don't try to jump to three or four. Add one at a time (at first, anyway -- I can see a jump from 4 to 6, e.g.).