Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 10-28-2005, 05:15 PM

Default crazy pineapple: TPTK or nut flush draw?

Anyone have any opinions about this situation? I don't know the exactly one, but I'll just make up a similar one

You hold: A clubs, K diamonds, 10 diamonds
Flop comes: A diamond, 7 diamond, 4 heart

I assume you'll keep the King regardless, but I'm not sure if I should be discarding the A or the 10

I'm thinking if it's heads up I'd want to keep the ace, but if it was 2 or more opponents I'd want to chase the nut flush (or maybe even fold) since it's more likely someone hit 2 pair or better on that flop

I guess betting is really irrelevant since pineapple tables only seem to fill up at micro limits where people bet/call anything
Old 10-28-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: crazy pineapple: TPTK or nut flush draw?

At first I tried to do a pokerstove calculation, but that seemed pretty silly, so let me just agree with you that drawing to the nut flush is almost certainly better with 3 or more opponents, and keeping tptk is almost certainly good against one opponent. Two opponents is the marginal case, but I think I'd keep the ak unless there was a lot of action on the flop.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: crazy pineapple: TPTK or nut flush draw?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking if it's heads up I'd want to keep the ace, but if it was 2 or more opponents I'd want to chase the nut flush (or maybe even fold)

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me this is not limit. If it is, folding this hand is absurd regardless of which card you throw unless you're dense enough to keep the AT.

If you know you're up against 2 pair or better, pitching the A is "correct" according to your equity, whereas if you aren't then pitching the T is "correct". In practice it makes sense to keep the flush draw in multiway pots because better hands are more likely, but keep the AK in shorthanded pots because you are probably not against a better made hand.