Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Default This board makes me laugh (a reality check)

I am an independent and I am an Infantryman in the Army.

I read through this forum pretty much everyday when I’m not deployed and everyday I am more and more convinced that most of you are completely out of touch with reality. Lets do a little reality check:

1. Wiretap/civil liberties/Patriot Act, etc. Let the congress have an investigation, let the courts decide if its constitutional or not, move on. I think it’s questionable, but I see why the President ordered it. It would be virtually impossible to go to the court 1000s of times a day. 1000s of times a day, you heard me correctly. And no, the NSA isn’t listening to you talk to your wife about picking up a loaf of bread on the way home. Allowing the Patriot act expiring is just stupid. Do we actually want to win this war? Who do you think will get the blame when the next attack happens on our soil? The NY Times?

2. Bush is a liar, Bush is the devil, etc. He’s doing a pretty good job, not perfect, but it ain’t easy. Over 80% of people like me agree that he’s doing a pretty good job based on the military vote in the last election. I don’t think he’s Abe Lincoln but he isn’t the devil either. Do you think 80% of the people like me are just too stupid to know better, or do we have an informed opinion?

3. Irag, Afghanistan and the GWOT. Been there (both places), things are going great, thank you very much. I love the “we need to get out of Iraq”, “we went to war on a pack of lies”, posts. Last time I checked, “we” aren’t in Iraq or Afghanistan, We (the military) are. Do you hear us bitching? I mean really bitching. Not joe (soldiers) being joe. Joe bitches all the time about chow, being hot, being cold, being tired, being bored, getting shot at, etc. Do you hear us saying this is a waste of our time? Do you hear us refusing to go back? Don’t get me wrong, it sucks to be away from home and all that, but when you (we) sit down and really think about what we are doing and why, its pretty clear we are making a huge difference and it matters a lot.

So what is reality? I’ve killed them, they’ve tried to kill me. I’ve talked to them (terrorists, members of AQ) and they are very focused on their mission and commanders intent. Their mission is to destroy our society, one way or another. Western Europe will be right after us, those poor idiots are really in a state of denial. The enemy are very clear about their mission and very focused on making it happen. I'd say being a suicide anything is pretty focused.

What is reality? That this is a war for National Survival, all the bs “background noise” is political fluff on both sides. "Background noise" is all the talk about what "we" should or should not be doing, all the political bs.

So “we” should grab a ruck and a rifle and see wtf is really happening in the world before commenting on anything in the arena of “background noise.” Of course, if you chose not to grab a rifle and a ruck, I fight for and support your continuing right to make as much “background noise” as you want, but you really don’t know anything more than what you read or hear about second hand instead of seeing or touching or feeling it first hand, so keep that in mind when you state your opinion.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: This board makes me laugh (a reality check)

hooah!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:52 PM

"And no, the NSA isn’t listening to you talk to your wife about picking up a loaf of bread on the way home."

But they are listening to the president's political opponents. What is stopping the republican government from spying on the opponents of senate republicans during the upcoming election cycle?

They WILL abuse this. And it is not about the war on terra, it is all about political power.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 PM

Great post!

And hey, sorry you failed to qualify for whatever highly technical MOS that recruiter signed you up for, allowing them to stick you in 11 Bravo where they wanted you all along. But at least you don't have to eat those 5 year old C-rats some of us did.

Again great post, and be proud you both act on your convictions and think straight unlike so many here.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM

Another gem: "Their mission is to destroy our society, one way or another."

They are succeeding and Bush is their main instrument to that end. See: illegal spying on american citizens perpetrated by Bush & co. How does he justify it? TERRA! TERRA! OHHH LORDY THERES GONNA BE TERRA!

I bet someone calls me a troll for saying that.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM

The post above this one by canis is what troll doo doo looks like.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't think you're a troll. I think you, and others in this forum, just refuse to believe there's a danger to our country and our way of life. Others of us do.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't think you're a troll. I think you, and others in this forum, just refuse to believe there's a danger to our country and our way of life. Others of us do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This administration's notion of imperial presidency is a far greater threat to "our country and our way of life" than AQ. It's a shame that you, and others in this forum, "just refuse to believe" that.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM

First, thank you for your service.

Secondly, and tragically, there will probably be a number of 9/11 type attacks before "we" get it. Say it until you are blue, but that's the simple truth.

Thirdly, I appreciate you coming to this forum and sharing your views. Keep it up. Men like you need to be active participants in the future of this country. There are too many who have never shot a weapon, let alone been shot at. The reality is that freedom is paid for in blood and many simply don't have a frame of reference to understand that, as smart as they may be. Know that you will go unthanked and unregarded by many you protect.

Once again, thank you for being an instrument of Freedom.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bush is a liar, Bush is the devil, etc. He’s doing a pretty good job, not perfect, but it ain’t easy. Over 80% of people like me agree that he’s doing a pretty good job based on the military vote in the last election. I don’t think he’s Abe Lincoln but he isn’t the devil either. Do you think 80% of the people like me are just too stupid to know better, or do we have an informed opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are stupid or not. You might be, you might not. Is it surprising to you that 80% of people who are like you are also thinking like you? If so, why would that surprise you --- by definition, they are "like you."

[ QUOTE ]
That this is a war for National Survival...

[/ QUOTE ]

What nation? Certainly not ours.