Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 02:46 AM

Default What to do.....What to do......

PokerStars Game #1782392673: Tournament #8371876, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2005/05/28 - 02:37:32 (ET)
Table '8371876 2' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Chinner420 (2685 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero (4655 in chips)
Seat 4: padington73 (1265 in chips)
Seat 5: mod46 (4810 in chips)
Seat 7: 3DS MAX (3390 in chips)
Seat 8: trishnaaron (3560 in chips)
Seat 9: Villian (20135 in chips)
3DS MAX: posts small blind 100
trishnaaron: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Qc Ac]
Villian: calls 200
Chinner420: folds
Hero: raises 400 to 600
padington73: folds
mod46: folds
3DS MAX: folds
trishnaaron: folds
Villian: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [Qs 5c 3d]
Villian: checks
Hero: checks
*** TURN *** [Qs 5c 3d] [3h]
Villian: bets 1000
Hero: calls 1000
*** RIVER *** [Qs 5c 3d 3h] [5s]
Villian: bets 3400
Now what????

Should I have re-raised on the turn???? I will always check that on the flop, with no flush and no real straight possiblilities....any other advice?
Old 05-28-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: What to do.....What to do......

Wow, this is horrible. You have TPTK and a nice pot, bet the flop!!! This is no limit poker, if you are not making him pay for cards to beat you, you are digging your own grave.
As a matter of fact, with a check you are just handing him the pot, he doesn't even need any cards! You have to fold if he moves in on you no matter what comes. Why throw in an extra 1000 on the turn, you didn't think his stack was big enough? Sugar on top?

What you want to do with this hand after that monumental flop-mistake is not worth discussing, since if you are a smart guy you will never be in this situation again.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 AM

Checking the flop is just a horrible mistake, and you are begging for situations like this to occur. What your check is saying is that you dont have an Q, so he could bet with any PP and even AK. And ofcourse he could have a hand like A5 or A3, and have you beat.

The way this pot played out, I would put him on a 5 or a medium PP. I probably would call at the end, but I would never ever slowplay a pair of Q. Thats just the kind of newbie mistakes you love to see when you are the villian.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:48 AM

you are not the next phil helmueth, do not check the flop. Anyways, call the river.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:58 AM

The flop check is fine. You are in a WAWB situation. (way ahead, way behind).
All your chips are likely going in here at some point, but why not let him continue to bluff his middle pocket pair. I play it just like you did, assuming you call the river. If he has quads, so be it.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop check is fine. You are in a WAWB situation. (way ahead, way behind).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is important. There's a lot of enthusiasm for betting this flop in the early replies, but it really doesn't get you all that much (edit - that's not quite true. It can work well if your opponent's the type to come over a continuation bet on a raggy board. But if you bet you're not doing it to protect your hand.) Call the river, you're ahead a majority of the time here.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will always check that on the flop, with no flush and no real straight possiblilities....any other advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop!

Do you really always check? Thats a big leak in your game!

Suerte,
Jonathan
Old 05-28-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will always check that on the flop, with no flush and no real straight possiblilities....any other advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop!

Do you really always check? Thats a big leak in your game!

Suerte,
Jonathan

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet this flop? You've hit TPTK with no flush and no straight draw out there, unless your opponnent is limping from UTG with 2 4. You can really only be worried about a King coming off on the turn or a 2 outer that makes the villian's set if he hasn't already. The 3 on the turn is another great card for you as he shouldn't be playing a hand with a 3 from UTG so continuing to slowplay is fine. The second 5 on the river is another great card as the villian could easily have you on AK thinking that you being stubborn on the turn. He now thinks that his medium pocket pair or possibly a weaker Q is good or even that he can bluff you off of a medium pocket pair by represting a 3, 5, or Q. There is a small possiblity that the opponnent was limping with AA or KK and decided to slowplay once he saw it would be heads up but now is trying to get paid off on his big hand. The small possiblity that he limped with something like A5s or A3s is also there but that's the kind of hand you want him to have with that flop and if he got lucky to hit a 2 outer that's just bad luck on your part but you can't worry about people hitting 2 outers to beat you.

Call on the river because you have the best hand a large majority of the time IMO.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:38 PM

I think checking the flop on this board with no real draws is fine. If this were against 2 or more opponents, I would bet the flop.

On the turn, you might consider raising but cold calling his bet, which is most likely a bet to take down the pot with his middle PP, is OK as well given the board cards. On the river I make this call; with the rags on the board the only hands he beats you with here are A3 and A5 [ QUOTE ]
if he got lucky to hit a 2 outer that's just bad luck on your part but you can't worry about people hitting 2 outers to beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-28-2005, 02:42 PM

I still don't see why checking the flop would help me here. Im in position, and Im looking for the big stack to try to make a play on the pot here. To me, betting the flop is the same as re-raising a bet on the turn (which i didn't do....brilliant), but you get more of his money in the pot. Thoughts?

By the way...I called the river and he turned over J5 for the boat. Ridiculus....