Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 08:32 PM

Default What to do with this guys large raises

I have a guy who I play with all the time. Hes a small winner in the game and I dont have a real problem beating him, but I have one question.

He really likes to slowplay. He only raises like 2%. he limpes big pairs all the time, but every now and then he will raise to $110-$130 after 1 or 2 limpers. Ive seen his cards twice when he did this and he had AQ both times. I suspect he does it with AK also, but not every time obviously since he rarely raises.

He wil always have a full buy in or more because he reloads if he loses a bit.

The question is this:

How do you handle these raises?

Would you be willing to push all in with any pair knowing he probably wont call? I really doubt he ever does this with a big pair, but anything is possible.

Would you push in with any 2 cards? He cant call with AQ. I have no idea if he would call with AK.

What would you do with AA, KK, QQ? Flat call and play the flop assuming he doesnt have big pair?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: What to do with this guys large raises

[ QUOTE ]

Would you be willing to push all in with any pair knowing he probably wont call? I really doubt he ever does this with a big pair, but anything is possible.

Would you push in with any 2 cards? He cant call with AQ. I have no idea if he would call with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might wait for hands without an A, K or Q in them but otherwise, I like stealing pots this way if your position is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
What would you do with AA, KK, QQ? Flat call and play the flop assuming he doesnt have big pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's only making these raises with AQ (and possibly AK), this is going to be a better way to get paid off with your big pairs. Of course, your position and the other players are important in making this decision, as well, but assuming you're going to be heads-up, I like just calling, although maybe not with QQ.

SpaceAce
Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might wait for hands without an A, K or Q in them but otherwise, I like stealing pots this way if your position is correct.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's only making these raises with AQ (and possibly AK), this is going to be a better way to get paid off with your big pairs. Of course, your position and the other players are important in making this decision, as well, but assuming you're going to be heads-up, I like just calling, although maybe not with QQ.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

I have abput 3000 hands with him and hes done this about 8-10 times. Ive seen AQ twice and havent seen anything else because nobody ever calls him.

Ive also seen him limp and then just call raises with big pairs enough to know that odds are against him having a big pair when he does this.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:40 PM

What kind of stacks are you playing with?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. . .but every now and then he will raise to $110-$130 after 1 or 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the blinds are. . .?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. . .but every now and then he will raise to $110-$130 after 1 or 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the blinds are. . .?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, its $5/$10 NL with $1000 stacks
Old 08-26-2005, 10:20 PM

that raise seems out of control. is there a raise in front of him or does he just raise it to 100 cold out of nowhere??does he lay down hands when the pressure is put on him, do you normally stay out of his pots or do you put pressure on him alot, i think i would stay out of his pots where hes bringing in 10x the BB, is it really worth risking your stack for $100 on a steal....
if i had QQ or a high pocket pair i think just calling is the right move, more than likely hes already isolated the hand for your QQ..if an ace or K flops he comes out firing i would fold. otherwise play accordingly.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that raise seems out of control. is there a raise in front of him or does he just raise it to 100 cold out of nowhere??does he lay down hands when the pressure is put on him, do you normally stay out of his pots or do you put pressure on him alot, i think i would stay out of his pots where hes bringing in 10x the BB, is it really worth risking your stack for $100 on a steal....
if i had QQ or a high pocket pair i think just calling is the right move, more than likely hes already isolated the hand for your QQ..if an ace or K flops he comes out firing i would fold. otherwise play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was a raise in front of him, there wouldnt be anything out of the ordinary about a $120 reraise. Im talking about 2 limpers and then a raise to $120.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:25 PM

Calling and seeing a flop is better than pushing pf imo.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:44 PM

so two limpers then a raise to 120...to me thats a overbet i guess i dont know the theory on that...hes raising over 4x the pot. maybe that is a normal pre flop raise. im looking at a bet of like 55 to 65 to be normal.