Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Did Phil Ivey implode..?Final table ESPN circuit event Take Tahoe

I followed it live on cardplayer when it was happening and it was actually much more of a back and forth battle than what espn showed, and it went on for over 3 hours. The shocking thing was how suddenly it ended.

Lisandro did double up early in heads up when Ivey called the push with the flush draw, which put them close to even in chips, but Ivey pushed back hard (playing extremely aggressively) and had over a 3 to 1 chip advantage again 20 hands later. Ivey still held a fairly substantial chip lead right up until the end, but then those last two hands (Ivey pushing with the open end straight draw and calling with the pair of two) did come almost back to back.

Those two hands were played strangely, to say the least. Ivey had only bet 60,000 into Lisandro with the straight draw when Lisandro moved in. I don't like the call at all. And I didn't understand the check/call when he paired his two's. I guess he was trying to represent a slow-played straight.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 PM

I was thinking that he made a deal and wanted to get out of there to get to the big game. Ivey doesn't seem to care about fame (any Negraneau fans out there?) and perhaps he needed to get back to his real job.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think of Iveys last few televised hands?

IMHO it came across that Phil Ivey wanted to get lucky, rather than outplay his opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2005, 01:14 PM

Because that both guarantee's him losing and not winning. If he just opens wildly, he either busts out quick or takes it quick.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever play freeze outs with your friends? Where maybe two or three of you know what you're doing and the other six don't? It always comes down to one of the guys who knows how to play vs. one of the guys who can't. And the guy who can play prods at the guy who can't, and if the donk doesn't roll over the player starts to get the look Phil Ivey had. Everyone else is outside getting drunk and laughing and this
donk keeps falling out of trouble. Pretty soon you don't care who wins and you just want to be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lissandro is not one of your Donk friends.

Frank
Old 08-10-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever play freeze outs with your friends? Where maybe two or three of you know what you're doing and the other six don't? It always comes down to one of the guys who knows how to play vs. one of the guys who can't. And the guy who can play prods at the guy who can't, and if the donk doesn't roll over the player starts to get the look Phil Ivey had. Everyone else is outside getting drunk and laughing and this
donk keeps falling out of trouble. Pretty soon you don't care who wins and you just want to be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lissandro is not one of your Donk friends.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

But he hasn't been on TV over and over again, how could he possibly be good? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 02:08 PM

I think it was Barry Greenstein that described one of Ivey's weaknesses as neglecting tournaments. That coupled with his comment about getting bored at tournaments makes it pretty reasonable to think he might be inclined to say "screw it" much like one would if he were tilting, with the caveat that Phil isn't tilting as much as he's just trying to move on to the more interesting cash games.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM

I thought it was obvious that after 3 long hours they decided to just chop so they could just get outta there.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 PM

well, i haven't seen the fight yet so i probably should never have said anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But i think there's some contention as to whether it was chopped or not. Along the lines of: why make a deal then play for over 3 hours?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 PM

Ivey's play at the end head's up was just lame. To chase the flush and the straights the way he did I thought was careless, and the last hand was just fishy.

This guy is great, but I guess he isn't all that good to a guy that doesn't buy his schtick.

Lisandro should have busted his ass when he went all in and he had the FH with the 10s. There is no way I would have given him credit for a bigger hand at that moment by the way the hand was played. Ivey was lucky that he finished as high as he did considering how this had should have gone.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 PM

Watching Phil at the end, he looked very tired and didn't want to be there anymore. It seemed he thought he was wasting his time there.