Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 AM

Default FILM REVIEW: First Blood

RAMBO!

You read this word, and what do you think? If you're anything like me, you think over-the-top cheesy 80's action.

But the first in the rambo trilogy, 'First Blood' is very unlike the 2 Rambo flicks that followed. This is no journey into the fantastic, It's tense, exciting, about as realistic as a wham-bam-action flick can be, and well-acted and directed. The script is sub-par, but it really doesn't matter, this is a very engaging and exciting little number.

A loner wanders into town, but sheriff warns him to move on. When he doesn't they take him in, and he proves to be a Vietnam vet. When they try to restrain him, he has flashbacks that cause him to turn on his special services training, and break out, prompting a man-hunt. But these guys really picked the wrong man to hunt...

Stallone is tip-top here, and I'd say this particular film, along with Rocky and 'Paradise Alley', are among his best work.

Likewise, Brian Dennehy plays the enraged sheriff excellently, combining both a covert and overt menace and anger with a sense of confusion when things don't go his way. Kirk Douglas was originally outlined to play this role, but it's hard to imagine anyone doing it better than Dennehy.

If you've seen it, maybe this review will make you want to see it again - ifyou haven't, you got a nice little film treat in store!

Overall, a smart, pacy, exciting action film - no epic, but a head and shoulders above most of the action pack, because it has the virtue of being much more realistic than the others..

OVERALL: 3/5
REWATCHABILITY: Yearly
Suitable for 13+, I'd say.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

Recent Reviews: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Old 11-03-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: First Blood

See stallone is looking to do a new Rambo film once he finishes up Rocky.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 AM

The books was much better. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

BOOK SPOILER: <font color="white">Rambo dies at the end. </font>
Old 11-03-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They filmed this part but didn't end up using it. It's on the DVD as an extra, though. I say this not having read the book, so it might not be exactly the same but I'm guessing it's close.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They filmed this part but didn't end up using it. It's on the DVD as an extra, though. I say this not having read the book, so it might not be exactly the same but I'm guessing it's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the movie edit did... <font color="white">Trautman blow Rambo away with a shotgun? </font>
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM

I'd agree, the book is a cracking good read. Lots about his special forces training background too, I think (he catches and eats an owl, for example, IIRR)

I think it'd be great in audiobook format too - it's a very fast-paced, driving narrative.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the movie edit did... <font color="white">Trautman blow Rambo away with a shotgun? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly... <font color="white">yes. It may not have been a shotgun, but it was definitely Trautman. He's holding a gun on Rambo in the sherriff's office - they're close to each other - Rambo pulls the muzzle to his chest and it goes off. He wanted to be shot.</font>
Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly... <font color="white">yes. It may not have been a shotgun, but it was definitely Trautman. He's holding a gun on Rambo in the sherriff's office - they're close to each other - Rambo pulls the muzzle to his chest and it goes off. He wanted to be shot.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually different. In the book... <font color="white">Rambo gets all shot up, but crawls away. Trautman tracks him down then blows his head off iirc. But yea, I think the point was he wanted to die. No sequal in that though. </font>

Also, David Morrell's other books are very good if you like light action reads.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's actually different.

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably knew... <font color="white"> they weren't going to win an academy award, so they went for the feelgood ending instead of the powerful one. I don't know why I had to hide this, but I didn't want to spoil that there was a better ending. </font>
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
about as realistic as a wham-bam-action flick can be,

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. This is the movie where he hides in the jungles of the midwest, isn't it? Isn't there a scene where he jumps off a mountain and falls about ten miles through trees and brush, only to sustain a single cut on his arm? I thought this film stretched its credibility pretty thin, really. Not that it's not enjoyable. Stallone's ending speech might be my favorite bit of gibberish ever.