Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 11:18 AM

Default ALL IN IN THE DARK?!

Suppose you are playing No Limit Holdem, you are in the Big Blind and there is one raiser and no callers (small blind folds), so it'll be headsup if you play. In pondering your decision you decide you could

(A) reraise All-In pre-flop,

or you could

(B) call with the intention of going All-In on the flop no matter what falls (though your opponent will only know you saw the flop and chose to go All-In),

but then in a stroke of genius or madness or something else, you realize you could

(C) call pre-flop, and then immediately announce `All-In in the dark on the flop' (before you see the flop and with everyone fully knowing exactly what you did).

(For this discussion we ignore Option (D): none of the above.)

QUESTION: in there ANY circumstance where Option (C) is better than (or as good as) (A) or (B).

`ANY circumstance' means it could be tourney or live, any stakes, raiser in any position, any size raise, any size stacks, any cards, or anything else related directly to the game.

I don't know the answer. I'm just curious to see what people come up with.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Re: ALL IN IN THE DARK?!

I would think this would be a very opponent dependant answer. I mean how would your opponents react to this sort of move.

If they would assume you have a monster and lay down a pretty good hand if they don't hit the flop very hard, then you can maybe bluff with this move.

If they would assume you are full of $hit, you might get a call from a weak hand that just pairs the flop that would fold preflop or to a big flop bet/raise, in which case you can do it with a big hand like AA

Oddly enough, I've considered this as an option a few times but I've always decided against it for one reaon or another.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: ALL IN IN THE DARK?!

I dont see anytime where going all-in in the dark does anything good for you. All it does is give your opponent free card(s) to look at.