Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 12:11 PM

Default How to steal the button?

Can anyone explain how this is done? Like, from what position, what size bet, against what kind of player?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: How to steal the button?

""Can anyone explain how this is done? Like, from what position, what size bet, against what kind of player?""

you can't go far wrong waiting to steal a guy's buttons until he's dead asleep, and usually the prone position is best. i myself rarely bet on stealing a guy's buttons, but when i do, it's without doubt a large wager, maybe fifty cents. now, you must understand, i dont like to condone this sort of thing, but if it's stealing buttons youre out to do, and you will not be dissuaded from doing it, a very drunk man is best. hell, you could even take his underwear, and it's doubtful he'd as much as snort.

any advice or further assistance i can give, call on me, im happy to be of service.

tlt
Old 11-17-2005, 02:02 PM

Well... Like everything in poker it all depends -- particularly on the specific factors you mention.

Are you asking about what's commonly called buying the button -- making a raise in late but not last position, hoping that everyone after you will fold and let you act last on future rounds? Or are you asking about stealing from the button?

Also, you should get in the habit of stating what game you're talking about. I assume that you're talking about no-limit hold 'em, because in this case it's a logical inference from "what size bet" and not many people ask questions about pot-limit Omaha or no-limit deuce-seven lowball.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you asking about what's commonly called buying the button -- making a raise in late but not last position, hoping that everyone after you will fold and let you act last on future rounds?

Also, you should get in the habit of stating what game you're talking about. I assume that you're talking about no-limit hold 'em,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, yes. I mean, how do you buy the button? I think some players in our NL hold'em home game bluff from early position, making a slightly larger than minimum raise [if the blinds are 50/100, they raise 150]. Is this "buying" the button or just bluffing?

Our game is a real mix of loose and passive players (they limp, don't raise much) and a few aggressive players who will aggressively bet from late position or the blinds when others limp. However, I've found that the times I have a hand and raise before these players, they will just call [if blinds are 50/100, they will call raises between 100-200]. I'm trying to figure out how to buy the button with hands that I don't want to raise more than 2x blinds with.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain how this is done? Like, from what position, what size bet, against what kind of player?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am thinking about buying the button, I usually want solid tight players after me, a very good drawing hand (like a suited connector), and several people already in the pot. Since we are talking about buying the button, we are obviously talking about a move with weak hands not AA-KK AK and other such big hands.

I want solid tight players after me, because I don't want to be cold called. I don't want a guy that normally will call a raise with something like Q9s sitting on the buton.

Since my hand is on the weaker side I want to make a smallish raise (maybe raise only 2-3BB which is double a min raise). I want to buy the button not steal all the dead money (but that is not a bad option either).

I want a nice drawing hand, because they do much better in position than they do out of position (which is why I am buying the button to get position). I want a hand that will often flop a nice draw such as a suited connector. With a smallish pocket pair I would prefer to limp and go for my set, but somemtimes I might raise there too, but I am often setting up a steal on the flop and not buying the button.

I want several people in the pot, because I want somebody there to pay off bigtime if I hit with my speculative hand.

If all of these are favorable, then go for it. If only some of them are favorable, you might give it a try, but don't bother if you have loose calling stations behind you. Obviously, the fewer players to act behind you the better, so I think CO or CO-1 are the best spots for this.

I don't think this is a hugely important play to make, but it is a nice play to mix up your game if your opponents don't understand what you are doing. They simply see you showdown a straight with 98s after raising preflop and think you are a retard.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Distract the dealer and guy who should have the button by pointing out a really hot cocktail waitress, then quickly slide the button in front of you. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, yes. I mean, how do you buy the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do it easily here.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, yes. I mean, how do you buy the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do it easily here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooooooooo 5 piece set!

you could always just check in the dark in first position against aggressive players. Its sorta home game-esc but people in low limit do it sometimes depending on your game, hell i've even seen John Juanda do it.