Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Live deep stack $5-10 NL, flopped nuts facing stack re-raise

$5-10 live
Hero~$4500
Villian~$3000

Hero in SB 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

3 limnpers, Hero calls and BB checks

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 makes it $65, 2 callers before it gets back to hero, Hero makes it $365, BB folds, UTG+1/Villain moves in for ~$2900. Villain will often overplay TPTK, make pretty big bluffs at times, but is not that reckless with this deep a stack. My range for him at this point is 9x8x as well, set, or semi-bluff with nut flush draw.

Easy call? Crying call?

Other lines on playing this on the flop?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Live deep stack $5-10 NL, flopped nuts facing stack re-raise

[ QUOTE ]
$5-10 live
Hero~$4500
Villian~$3000

Hero in SB 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

3 limnpers, Hero calls and BB checks

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 makes it $65, 2 callers before it gets back to hero, Hero makes it $365, BB folds, UTG+1/Villain moves in for ~$2900. Villain will often overplay TPTK, make pretty big bluffs at times, but is not that reckless with this deep a stack. My range for him at this point is 9x8x as well, set, or semi-bluff with nut flush draw.

Easy call? Crying call?

Other lines on playing this on the flop?

Thanks for any feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You have the nuts. Ya ya, you're a small dog to KQ clubs or whatever and he could be freerolling w/89 w/1 or 2 clubs but, ummmmmmmmm, you have the nuts. As for your line, it looks like you accomplished what you wanted to accomplish, but with the board as draw heavy as it is, I think leading out is better hoping to get raised, b/c the flop getting checked around is awful with that many scare cards out there. So I guess he won then, eh?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:48 AM

You're playing holdem here, not omaha. You'd need much deeper stacks than this to fold the nuts.
The only hand you fear is 89c where he's freerolling.
The best drawing hand he can have is KQc but you're still about even money against that.
Only way you can fold this is if you're in way over your head so you can't afford to lose your stack.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 AM

If you hate money than fold [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Other wise I call and hope the board doesnt pair or he has a large draw like mentioned above. I could see him having KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and trying to get you to lay down, not thinking you are this strong. What did Billy say to do [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 10:00 AM

Hi Limpfold,

[ QUOTE ]
Only way you can fold this is if you're in way over your head so you can't afford to lose your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't even fold under those circumstances. Otherwise, I totally agree with your post.

OP, what are you worried about? The only hand you would hate to see is the 9c8c: are you saying you're afraid he could only do this with 98? I doubt this is true, but even if it is, realize that there are 9 combinations of 98, and only one of them is the 9c8c. That hand will only beat you one third of the time. Work out the math, and you'll see that even if you knew he had 98, you'd do much better by calling than by folding, with 840 or so in the pot and 2600 to you.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:07 AM

I like your screen-name... ironic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 10:18 AM

Ummm... let me put it this way... with a 98 in your hand would rather flop the nut straight or not. If flopping the nuts is something you would like to do, why would you fold?

Maybe it seems like you're playing in stakes too high for your comfort level, and this is why you're asking this kind of question. If this was Omaha I might fold and run screaming from the table, but last time I checked this was hold'em. You can't assume that you're against the nuts and a freeroll every single time someone pushes... so get your money in and gamble fer god's sake!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the responses. FWIW, there was no way I was considering folding here. The intent of the original post was maybe to think about different lines of playing this here. I was happy to get all the money in with the current nuts, was a little queasy when I called and he flipped over K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

He turned the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the str8 flush. No big deal, that's poker.

Any opinions on smooth calling the $65 flop bet on a draw heavy board, and moving in/overbetting the pot on a non club turn? I know this is after the fact/results oriented thinking, but is it a better play to make since villain would be making a much bigger mistake moving in in this situation vs on the flop?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Just picked up on that one, LOL.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:36 AM

To answer your other question, if you bet the flop you may just get a caller but, if villian thinks you are strong he will need to re-raise with KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to get his value out of his hand if he hits one of his outs. I think either way all the money is going in on this flop.