Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Is he bluffing enough times to make this a good call?

If it was in your gut that you'd take it down a good portion of the time I don't hate the raise, although technically you aren't making him make a mistake, if he folds he's folding the worst hand.

Problem is your OOP and about every card left in the stub doesn't make you happy and you have to freeze up, so even if he does make the mistake and calls you with the worst hand, it's a hard hand to play after that.

Taking a shot with this type of thing is really player dependent and I do it now and then, but usually just play it standard and give him the pot on the flop.

As played, would he bluff with Ace high here 1/5 the time?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that it's a mistake to raise here to get him to fold his overcards to my fives because I'm allowing him to make the correct decision? So I should just check-call him down all the way? Or better yet, how would you play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a question for you:

if he bets 4 and you raise him, will he fold any hands that beat you? will he call with any you are beating?

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all fine and dandy fim, but are you calling flop and folding to any turn aggression (assume a complete blank)? folding the flop?

-T
Old 07-16-2005, 12:16 PM

Against this guy, I think that the river call is mandatory. No question about it.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:37 PM

This may just be a dumb question from a limit player, but...

...given that the turn was a reasonably good missed card for you, why didn't you bet out and really put the pressure on him to fold?
Old 07-16-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...given that the turn was a reasonably good missed card for you, why didn't you bet out and really put the pressure on him to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
After he called my flop check-raise, I was ready to give up on the hand. I was going to checkfold to his turn bet, but he checked behind, which made me think that he had nothing.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He probably won't fold any hand that beats me, though he MIGHT call with hands that I'm beating.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see this as a good thing? You are bluffing. You win if he folds and you lose if he calls. He's not going to call a checkraise with no pair and then let you check to him twice and see a free showdown. The fact that you have a pair here is irrelevent. Once you decide to checkraise the flop, you've turned your hand into a two-outer.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You see this as a good thing? You are bluffing. You win if he folds and you lose if he calls. He's not going to call a checkraise with no pair and then let you check to him twice and see a free showdown. The fact that you have a pair here is irrelevent. Once you decide to checkraise the flop, you've turned your hand into a two-outer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry for not being clear, but I meant to say that he might call with an OESD, gutshot, or two overcards, such as AK, A5, 45, and 56. He might also call if he has a 2 or a 3. But let's say he'll call with any crap here. If that's the case, you're saying that a checkraise here is bad. So how would you play the rest of the hand. Do you fold to his flop bet? If you call his flop bet, what do you do on the turn when he bets out again? Thanks in advance for any help.