Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Crucial $215 Hand

Yep, 2nd pair, crappy kicker, no draw.

There is no reason to call this down. The only reason to call the flop is to set up a bluff. If you are going to do that, you should probably make a decent sized raise on the turn to represent trips that are now protecting against the draws. If you want to represent hitting the straight on the turn, I guess you can wait until the river and push.

If you are going to make a gigabet-like move, I think you should raise the turn because you can still represent a solid hand without risking your whole stack.

This is exactly what I didn't do when I was playing against SevnFigures last night where I made a stupid-ass bluff with my whole stack.

In the other thread, I was talking about times where you are probably ahead of a donkey who is trying to make value bets with 2nd pair or TPcrappyK.

Gigabet, if you don't think my use of 'gigabet-like' is appropriate here, feel free to challenge me to a $10 HU match.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, 2nd pair, crappy kicker, no draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....figured it was best ~66% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

There is no reason to call this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheUsher says this guy will auto bet this flop with any two and will be completing with most hands (that aren't already quite strong) in this situation pre-flop. Any two is a very large range. I am ahead of it most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

The only reason to call the flop is to set up a bluff. If you are going to do that, you should probably make a decent sized raise on the turn to represent trips that are now protecting against the draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't raise on the turn...so I put in a bet that would either be a value bet if he has overs or would be enough to make him give up with his nothing hand. Frankly, one aspect of this plan is to induce him to want to bluff the river...the question then is what river bet is callable (means 'I am bluffing')?

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to represent hitting the straight on the turn, I guess you can wait until the river and push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh...pushing so much into the pot if I check behind on the turn planning on raising his bet seems too risky. But this would be 'giga-like' as far as I can tell, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]

If you are going to make a gigabet-like move, I think you should raise the turn because you can still represent a solid hand without risking your whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I CAN'T RAISE THE TURN!!! HE DIDN'T BET!!!

If you mean go allin on the river...I thought about this for a few seconds among other actions.

[ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I didn't do when I was playing against SevnFigures last night where I made a stupid-ass bluff with my whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do tell, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]

In the other thread, I was talking about times where you are probably ahead of a donkey who is trying to make value bets with 2nd pair or TPcrappyK.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this situation different?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Gigabet, if you don't think my use of 'gigabet-like' is appropriate here, feel free to challenge me to a $10 HU match.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll probably spot you $2, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Oh...and to the original hand that I posted....what do you do on the river? Am I correct to assume it's a clear fold in your opinion here??

Yugoslav
Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TheUsher says this guy will auto bet this flop with any two and will be completing with most hands (that aren't already quite strong) in this situation pre-flop. Any two is a very large range. I am ahead of it most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, one player to a hand please. Ok, I noticed something where you knew something about this opponant, but didn't know what you knew.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The only reason to call the flop is to set up a bluff. If you are going to do that, you should probably make a decent sized raise on the turn to represent trips that are now protecting against the draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't raise on the turn...so I put in a bet that would either be a value bet if he has overs or would be enough to make him give up with his nothing hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. Baby Jebus is crying. I think you needed to bet more. I don't think 78 as opposed to 80 or 75 helps, but what do I know?

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, one aspect of this plan is to induce him to want to bluff the river...the question then is what river bet is callable (means 'I am bluffing')?

[/ QUOTE ]

That made baby Jebus puke. You want him to bluff into you so you can call with a pair of 5s-9kicker in level 2. You need to be the bluffer; he needs to be the bluffee, IMO.
[ QUOTE ]
I CAN'T RAISE THE TURN!!! HE DIDN'T BET!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, my bad, but don't go near my mother's skull!!!

You could either raise more, or check and make your move on the river. That might still let you keep your chips. If I were going to play the hand, I'd bet pot on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
If you mean go allin on the river...I thought about this for a few seconds among other actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

A possibility. I don't think the whole line that results in an allin bluff is good here and I don't think it is Giga-like. His recently posted allin bluff was in the live MTT on the bubble, with huge FE (if I recall). His laggy bluffs early in the $215 were ones that allowed him to keep a playable stack if they didn't work.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do tell, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Utterly idiotic. Just a post oak bluff allin in level 2 or 3 with a KKx board, 2nd to act out of 3, way way overbetting the pot. Playing with someone, who for some reason, I want to beat for reasons other than just the money, makes me inclined to tilt. I still resist the tilt most of the time, but sometimes it gets me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this situation different?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 2nd pair, crappy kicker. I want to beat top pair crappy kicker and 2nd pair any kicker before I call down the donkey. 2nd pair crappy kicker only beats uber-donkeys or geniuses.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll probably spot you $2, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll spot him $2.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh...and to the original hand that I posted....what do you do on the river? Am I correct to assume it's a clear fold in your opinion here??

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not clear at all. I presume in the $215s he knows how to make a bet small enough to look like it wants a call and big enough to scare you a bit, without risking a huge portion of his stack. You now have to call 175 to win about 500. I think there's enough of a chance that he thinks you are full of s.h.i.t. with that 78 bet that this call is profitable.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Alright, one player to a hand please. Ok, I noticed something where you knew something about this opponant, but didn't know what you knew.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as people want there to be, there is no such rule in online poker.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:04 PM

Default STATS (sort of)

[ QUOTE ]
I want stats. If not stats, just how much $$ won or lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ended up $670, $1105 with rakeback. Since TheUsher is fading half of my failed $215 attempt, it really is $1210 or so. Without the $215 thrown in, I would have been at $1320 (+/- whatever the substituted $55 result would have been).

[ QUOTE ]

Who cares about the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously....I PROFITED BITCH! That's all that really matters. $4/trny...I can live with that - EZ.

[ QUOTE ]

I love not knowing what my ROI is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is v v v tiny for this 400 (except the 31 $22s I played...I pwn3d those hardcore). I can attribute this to many, many things....here is a quick list:
1. Until Saturday I hadn't played more than 80 $55s. Adjusting wasn't instantaneous (or completed by the end of the 400).
2. I don't really 8 table...or very well.
3. My brain was fried after like middle of day 2....I had to keep repairing it on a minute to minute basis....but no permanent solution was found.
4. I got off to a very very bad run in the $55s....probably was stuck like $1.5k at the end of Saturday.
5. My luckbox didn't carry me to victory in the $215 I played like it was supposed to.
6. Messy_Jessy was at like 1/3 of all of the $55 tables I played. I now hate him and his girl!!!

So....thanks to everyone for their support....could I have done it without it? Maybe....but there were several points where the mental, emotional and psychological strain was building and being able to discuss different things with so many different players/people carried me through.

I'd like to give a special shot out to the 2+2ers who kept me company at my tables (and did their very best to thwart my attempt at a +$ quest): Messy Jessy, John Hurst, J-Lo, StupidSucker, Newt Buggs, Unarmed, Duece2High, ripped, kyro, tech, sapster, JasonP530 (who I *thought* played the 215s...meh). I'm sure there were more of you out there pwning me hardcore...but whatever.

So yeah....no STTs for me tonight....there will be much sleeping going on, however. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: STATS (sort of)

congrats and well done, must feel nice to finally be done.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 PM

Outstanding! You played more STTs in a weekend than I have played (ever)... I kept trying to find a tourney to enter that you were in just to contribute to your ROI, but never could get the timing down right.

Congrats on surviving the challenge!

SlackerWhoStillSingleTables22'sWithSuccessJustNotT hisWeekend
Old 05-31-2005, 11:21 PM

LOL - You kill me man.
NICE WORK [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 11:57 PM

I'm 99% sure you know I was kidding. Now I'm 100%.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 PM

I don't know who this is at all, but I think I check the turn. Clear fold on the river barring a read.

Oh yeah, nice challenge. I really have to motivate myself to play more.