Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Three checks (How bad was it?)

Party $10-$20. Action table. Lots of LAGs
UTG is a LAG, Button is a LAG, SB is unknown
Holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB

UTG limps, Button raises, SB calls, I call, UTG calls

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check for obvious reasons, UTG checks, Button checks (wtf, I didn't expect that at all)

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

SB checks, I check (because I am a pussy?), UTG checks, button checks.

Well, no I have no idea where I am in this hand

river is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

SB checks, I check (very confused) UTG checks, button checks

MHIG
Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Three checks (How bad was it?)

Easy peesy river bet. The turn is more interesting. The flush isn't so worrisome, since a LAG would probably bet a flopped flush draw, but the fact that its an A means that you could get raised a lot of the time you bet. The flush may protect you from that somewhat, but I guess that depends on just how LAGgy the LAGs are. I hate bet/folding the turn, but if you're raised you're likely behind, with a few of your outs pretty tainted. So I guess I play the turn the same.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:26 PM

I don't know why you check the flop for "obvious" reasons. With two lags to your left do you want to be in the position to have to call 2 cold with TP/medium kicker? I would bet out here hoping to get a raise from one of the two lags- if UTG raises then you face the button and sb with two bets, if Button raises you can three bet forcing the sb to face 2 cold, and UTG to face two more back after putting one in. With this lineup/flop your hand is to good to let go off, but no so good that you want to get fancy with, or can easily stand a free card.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Actually, I thought he checked the flop planning to check/raise. I'd also have bet out, though, hoping to get raised.

I can't blame him for checking the river. I'm not sure that a weaker hand would call.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:38 PM

I assumed too much on the flop.
The button was supposed to bet, I was supposed to raise.
They haven't see me check-raise yet, so I was hoping it would scare them. I wanted at least one LAG out of the hand with the pot at 4BBs.
Ofcourse, the flop check is the crucial mistake in this hand.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:38 PM

I think Hero is so often best here that the "Stronger hands will raise, weaker hands will fold" does not apply. He'll get plenty of calls from Jx, lower PPs, and maybe even a K if one of the lags is an extra-special donk.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:42 PM

Maybe you're right about people calling. But since the table is full of LAGs, is there a decent chance his check might induce a bluff (from someone representing a 7)? In fact, might a LAG raise his river bet for the same reason, putting him in a difficult position?

Actually, I think the answers are no, and betting the river might be right after all. Just felt like articulating those things. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 12:45 PM

Sb is the unknown in the hand-he is the one you want to face two bets too. Driving the lags out is not your priority from them (and difficult to do)- getting them to put multiple bets in when behind is. If the button had bet and the sb now decides he wants it heads up agianst a lag and c/r what the hell do you do?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 PM

i realize that he wanted to c/r, and he still probably wants to if lag#1 bets and lag#2 raises, but what if lag#2 bets and sb raises? or if lag #1 bets and both call? now he can't face anyone with two cold.