Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Autopiloting is very bad

xpost from ssnl

Last weekend was great for me pokerwise. I won about 1200 at NL 100, not playing that many hours and really playing well. I was playing a complete game, being aggressive, reading people well, I generally brought my A game. A couple sets against someone overplaying AK, two A high flushes, and boom, a big weekend. I've won more than 1200 in a night playing BM before, but the amount of money is not the point. 1200 is not changing my life. What was important was that it was the best I've played, probably ever. I've improved a lot in the last two months and it was showing.

So I log in Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday thinking "Ok, I've finally got this 6 max stuff down, I'll play 2 2 hour sessions each day this week and churn out enough to take a good shot at NL200. Well. short answer, wrong. Right now for the week I'm down about 250. Again, it is not about the money, I'm not worried about the 250. I'm worried that I played like complete crap and was careless. In fairness, I did get unlucky a few times, but not that unlucky. Not "I had them drawing to two outs everytime". I got the reverse side of what was happening before, in my weekend stretch those flush draw semibluffs my opponent made were missing, but if they do it 4-5 times you've got to lose one. Stuff like that, plus a nice little -200 BB top set to my second set.

But what was really really wrong was that I was just autopiloting. I was popping up 4 tables, opening up a movie, and expecting to win. I knew I was running well over the weekend, so I never expected to win as much but still pretty much thought I would win and it would be easy. Missing reads, missing spots to get aggressive, popping up 2+2 in between hands, not paying attention. Thinking about the new laptop I'm going to get.

So I'm not sure what I want people to comment on, because I know what I have to do. I have to concentrate only on playing poker and playing my A game, not flipp between poker and something else. I feel like a total fool, I've made all these improvements and then I don't use them. Stupid, stupid.

So, kids: poker is not easy. You have to work when you play, even if you are good.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Autopiloting is very bad

[ QUOTE ]
So, kids: poker is not easy. You have to work when you play, even if you are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid poker . . .
Old 06-22-2005, 08:52 PM

seriously, once i learn stuff I should just be able to open up the windows, click fold a few times, and have the pot shipped at my usual winrate. no one told me id have to keep thinking and apply my learned knowledge. WTF?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Well I'm watching the WPT, typing this, and playing poker, but only one table, so I guess I'm cool.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:43 PM

You've learned from the experience because you've been objective about it.

That objectivity is the key to self-development.

Keep at it.

Regards,

Al