Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Party\'s WSOP Steps - Warning!

No matter what, the neverending structure of the Steps tournaments means that Party will automatically reap a windfall when people are no longer able to use their freerolls because the WSOP has started.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:36 AM

remember your talking to a party poker CS person. ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
remember your talking to a party poker CS person. ask to speak to a supervisor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Someone in the STT forum said his sister asked the same question and was told she WOULD get refunded once they stop running the WSOP steps. Guess I'll have to give them a call to get a straight answer.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:46 AM

I emailed them this same question when the promotion started. I was told that I would be refunded the entry price (but not the juice) of any steps I had left when the promotion ended.

So I went through several step 1s, eventually turning them into a couple step 3s. I figured worst case was I would get $400 deposited back into my account if I decided not to play them.

A couple of weeks ago a buddy of mine emailed support and asked them the question about unused steps and they told him they would be lost. I immediately emailed them, forwarding the message that they originally sent me and they gave me the same response that they gave to him, my steps would be lost. I finally got them to admit misleading me and they said that they would check into my case at the end of the promotion and see would could be done.

So now I am stuck. Do I hope for the $400 or play the steps? I'm only into this for about $100 total, so it's not the end of the world, but I don't like being lied to.

If you are in the same situation, please email or call them and complain. Hopefully they will get enough feedback and change this policy to something more reasonable.

If you get a different answer, please post here!
Old 05-21-2005, 12:46 AM

With all the money Party spends to keep the best customer service in the industry they have to find ways to make enough money to keep the servers running.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm only into this for about $100 total, so it's not the end of the world, but I don't like being lied to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like to be lied to and you play poker at PARTY poker?

Irony - see above.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:01 AM

It is guaranteed that there will be freerolls that will be impossible for people to play. Whenever the last WSOP Step tourney is run there will be people with freerolls left to use. Because of this, Party's response that sufficient time will be given to use freerolls is an outright lie. They should not be able to get away with stealing from their customers.

I'm not sure they are going to take the freerolls away, I have the feeling they are just saying this so that people will use as many of their freerolls as they can.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With all the money Party spends to keep the best customer service in the industry they have to find ways to make enough money to keep the servers running.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is transfinite sarcasm. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say I buyin directly to step 6 for $2000 one day before the WSOP because I havent qualified yet, and I really really want to. I finish 2nd or 3rd for another freeroll to step 6, but lo and behold, they stop running them because the WSOP is starting! They just stole $2000 from me.

I realize this is an extreme example, but the fact is the freerolls that will "expire" were payed for by their players

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this policy of Party is outrageous - good to see a serious thread on this. And I dont think the example you give is extreme because even if every player really wanted to use up their freerolls, there would still be some number of people at level 6 that could not find a full table on the last day.

But think about all the hundreds or thousands of freerolls out there at the lower levels. As the deadline approaches they are all screwed, because if you win a level 2 two hours befor the cut off, you have no hope of winning a level 6 in time, so its theft plain and simple.

I think Party found themselves in a bit of a pickle...if they publically state that all unused freerolls will be either paid in cash to the account or refunded in tournament dollars, then A lot of people will not play their level 5 or 6 entry, defeating the whole purpose of the steps concept which is to get otherwise low limit tourney players to pay obscene entry fees to high stakes tourneys.

I think at the end of the day they will HAVE to offer some kind of equivalent refund, but it is very unethical of them to not be up front about it - and in fact to lie to their clients to make them so afraid that they wring out every last dollar from them.

And for what its worth I am am usually a big Party supporter but in this WSOP case, they need to come clean.

H
Old 05-21-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Party\'s WSOP Steps - Warning! - Update

Wow. It's quite an event talking with Party's customer support. The first time I call, I'm told the WSOP Step freerolls in your account will expire once the promotion is done, as per our "terms and conditions". I ask to see these "terms and conditions", I'm put on hold for 15 minutes, then the line goes dead.

I call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. He gets on the line and asks "can I have your account name please". I reply "You dont need my account name, just answer my question". They will expire as per our terms and conditions. I again ask to see these terms, and this time I'm pointed to this:

"PartyPoker.com reserves the right to modify, alter, discontinue or terminate a promotion at any time for any reason whatsoever, with or without notice. Further, these Standard Promotional Offer Terms & Conditions may be modified or amended at any time, with or without notice, by PartyPoker.com by the posting of new terms herein. It is your sole responsibility to check these Terms & Conditions before accepting any promotional offer."

He actually read this to me over the phone. I tell him that this makes no mention of keeping funds/freerolls. He again says they will expire. I tell him "that is flat out theft from your players. Those freerolls were PAYED FOR BY YOUR PLAYERS. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYING?" "Yes I understand" he says, and puts me on hold again.

Now his story changes. He now tells me "it is up to Senior Management's discretion to issue refunds or equal compensation(he didnt elaborate on this)" - now get this - "depending on the value of the customer". What?? So if you're of no value to them, they reserve the right to steal from you? WTF???

He then tells me to send them an email once the promotion is done if I have any freerolls left. "We will forward your email to the appropriate people for review".

So there you have it.. We still don't have a straight answer.