Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 PM

Default What information is most important from Pokertracker?

I recently posted asking if Pokertracker was useful, the answer I got was a unanimous yes. I downloaded the software and I have been using for the past week. I'm learning more about it everyday but I wanted to know what stats you guys feel are the most important to look at while playing or even afterwards.

I have heard a lot of people discuss the VP/IP of an opponent. What are guidelines for using that stat to determine the playing style of your opponent? What range of vp/ip describes what range of players? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

-Shady Poker
Old 12-12-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: What information is most important from Pokertracker?

The sticky FAQ in the Microlimit forum has some info on typical stat ranges for winning players. You might be able to get some good info out of it by figuring out what your opponents are doing wrong based on how much they deviate from the "normal" stats. Also, for 2/4 and 3/6, there is a post called "I hate tiger woods" or something like that. It has info on the stats of several winning players at those limits. Your stats won't be statistically significant for a while, but you can get an idea of some of them after a few thousand hands. For your opponents, you won't have this many hands very often, but you can make reasonable judgements if you keep in mind the sample size. Someone who is 44/2 after 50 hands is obviously a bad player regardless of sample size.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 PM

If a player was 44/2, what exactly does that mean in lamens terms?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:30 PM

44=VP$IP - voluntarily put $ in pot (preflop) - a measure of loose/tightness, expressed as a percentage. 44 means this player is voluntarily entering the pot with 44% of all hands. the reliability of this stat depends on how many hands it is based on.

2=PFR - Pre Flop Raise - what percentage of the time does this player raise or reraise preflop, expressed as a percentage. a measure of passive/aggressiveness. again, the reliability of this stat depends on how many hands it is based on.

a 44/2 is entering many pots (loose) and raising few hands (passive).
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
44=VP$IP - voluntarily put $ in pot (preflop) - a measure of loose/tightness, expressed as a percentage. 44 means this player is voluntarily entering the pot with 44% of all hands. the reliability of this stat depends on how many hands it is based on.

2=PFR - Pre Flop Raise - what percentage of the time does this player raise or reraise preflop, expressed as a percentage. a measure of passive/aggressiveness. again, the reliability of this stat depends on how many hands it is based on.

a 44/2 is entering many pots (loose) and raising few hands (passive).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this. This tells me the type of vp/ip for a loose passive player, what would you say is a general vp/ip for a tight passive, tight aggressive and loose aggressive player etc?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:56 PM

the problem with giving you set ranges for loosepassive, etc. is that it completely depends on the game. shorthanded games are completely different from full games, and the player profiles change accordingly. in aggressive games a moderately aggressive player might be considered passive. there are many variables. what limits are you playing?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:06 AM

I've found that PT is most useful when studying individual hands your opponents play - in bulk.

VPIP becomes statistically valid after a relatively few number of hands. Since it's also an indicator for either tight play or very loose play, it's probably the most important stat. However, remember that VPIP doesn't necessarily indicate any particular level of skill of a player post-flop. I've seen players who play every hand and play them reasonably well post-flop, and players who only play the top 10 hands, but play them badly.

I find WtSD, W%SD, PFR, Total Aggression, Check-raise%, and Cold-calling% most useful while playing - without reads. A fairly good picture of this player can be obtained with these stats.

Replay a chunk of one of your frequent opponents' hands (probably another tight/aggressive player), and take some rudimentary notes about each hand. Classify them by hand types (2pair, straights, high-card, etc.) and suprisingly soon patterns will appear in their play.