Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM

Default QQ play: flop bet OK or insane?

Party $25 PL, $0.25/$0.5

I'm dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB with $24. 8 limpers to me. I raise to $5; only unknown button, who has me covered, calls.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Pot $12.
I bet $12, he reraises all-in, and I call the $7 or so.

Turn and river don't help and his A4s takes it.

Questions for the forum: is my flop bet too aggressive? Is the preflop raise fine?
I think I played this OK, but please correct me.

4gapper
Old 04-06-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: QQ play: flop bet OK or insane?

Although QQ is a good hand to be holding before the flop, it's another story after those first three community cards have been laid down. In this case, it was a pretty bad flop for you...

Despite your gutshot straight draw, you were already losing to the button if he held: Ax, Kx, AK/AT/KT, QJ. Only conceivable hands you would've been able to beat were a smaller pocket pair or JT/T9/J9.

I understand that chucking in your last $7 may seem like it's worth it (hey, it's only 7 bucks), but making that call in NL25 really isn't a +EV in the long run...

On a side note, you very well could have had AA/AK/KK and made that same preflop raise and flop bet. Take notes on players (like him) who think they can easily take it down with top pair, weak kicker.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:50 PM

It's a good move if the other player is weak or good enough to laydown with an ace or king there. The problem is that typical opponents on Party will call you with top or even second pair so you're just giving you're money away bluffing when an ace or a king flop. When both do you it's time to get out.

As somebody said before you'll get dealt queens plenty of times virtually always with a much better flop (could only be worse if it didn't give you the inside straight draw). Let them go unless you read your opponent as a folder.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:21 PM

1.) the qq requires a bigger raise on party, as they will call with any ace.

2.) they call with any ace . that is a terrible flop for you, and you mosatn certainly should lay them down . The players on party aren't even thinking about kickers .
Old 04-06-2004, 03:41 PM

A bigger raise? He's already raised it 10BB (more than 20% of his stack).
This raise is way more than sufficient.
Flop sucks, check fold it everytime.
FsuPlayer
Old 04-06-2004, 03:42 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I guess the upshot is that one needs to take into account that this hand was played on party, where players won't fold to even if the opposition could be representing a bigger hand. (My bet was to represent AK,AA, or KK, having a Q or J as outs.)