Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:26 AM

Default T9s, make str8 vs. 3-flush

SB has only been at the table a couple orbits, but seems TAG.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

I thought about raising here, but since it wouldn't protect my very vulnerable hand, I thought I'd wait until the turn to raise, if a blank falls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Not exactly a blank. Should I fold to the 3-bet?

River: (14 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 08-19-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: T9s, make str8 vs. 3-flush

Everything looks good to me except I might have raised the flop. TAG or not, blind bets are often made on middle pair.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:57 AM

I'd raise the flop here, we have middle pair, and we'll often be ahead of just a flush draw, or weaker Ten.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:05 AM

Your line just doesn`t make sense.
You are very likely beat by the turn. You can call it down although your str8 outs are possibly no good.
It`s close between folding and calling on the turn I think.
I`d raise the flop though.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:09 AM

Folding this on the turn when it's not obvious you're beaten is dumb, and the decision isn't close.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:22 AM

Pot is 13 BB after SB 3-bets the turn - you'll be getting at least 7:1 to just call down. I don't know that you're beat more than 88% of the time. Call down and find out what the heck hand he plays this way.

Tom
Old 08-19-2005, 08:27 AM

What`s the use in raising this turn. The [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is an obviously very bad card.
Hero said he waited for the turn to raise if a save card hits. Do you consider this a save card?
Call it down.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:13 PM

Perhaps you're missing that his straight hit on the turn. Ending the action I could be persuaded to call the turn and bet if checked to on the river, but folding is stupid.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:26 PM

Yes, my biggest question is whether I should have raised the turn or not.

My thinking at the time was, SB could have bet the flop with a flush draw, but he could also be betting top pair, two pair, a set, an overpair, etc. MP2 just called the flop, and just called the turn. I didn't really think MP2 had a flush, so I figured the only player I needed to worry about was SB. Since I figure he has a flush less than half of the time, I thought raising with my str8 would be for value, especially with the overlay being offered by MP2. Of course the 3-bet tells me otherwise.

Is my thinking flawed?

-- Kevin
Old 08-19-2005, 10:30 PM

On the flop, you have top pair with a decent kicker, and you are likely ahead and you have outs to the straight. I'd raise. The [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is not a good card for you. Should you have raised the flop and he just called you I would call down if he bet first in on the turn depending on your read. My opinion is, not raising the flop was a mistake and if you had, you would have much more easier decisions the rest of the hand.