Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Broadway

Good Party 15/30 game. I open-raise in LMP with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and am called in the following places:

1) CO. Regular who is a bit on the loose aggressive side, but not totally incompetent or insane.
2) SB. Absolutely terrible player who will see the flop with any two and call postflop with any kind of anything.
3) BB. Unknown.

Four of us see a flop of Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

It's checked around to me and I bet. The CO raises and the SB calls two cold. I call with the intention of check-raising the turn.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Broadway

Given that you can expect both players to call a 3-bet (for a total of 1 BB) and that you can, at a minimum, expect SB to call a turn bet from you (another BB minimum), it would be pretty painful if you went for the check-raise on the turn and the CO checked it through to take a free card for a flush or straight draw. If CO is raising for a free card or is being overly aggressive (or actually has a nice hand), you may well get another BB from his cap and SB's calling two cold. I think re-raising the flop and betting the turn is a better play in this situation.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:03 PM

On that board i'd 3 bet. He's likely to cap.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:04 PM

I'd 3-bet the flop and bet the turn. It would be unpleasant if the CO checked behind with his J9s or flush draw on the turn.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:14 PM

Who said you can't 3-bet and CR the turn. The 3-bet/CR seems like the best course againsts an agressive opponent.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Our hero has the nut straight so a free card on the turn is bad but not a disaster. The CO is fairly loose but not nuts so he could have a pretty wide range of hands but I'm guessing he didn't CC with 45s. So under that assumption any of his likly drawing hands, for a straight I'm thinking AT, KJ, QT, 9T and to a flush I'm thinking Axs, Kxs, or Qxs, I'm thinking he still bets the turn because hey he has a double draw or a pair+draw.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Preemptive comment

Before I get any more responses, let me just make it clear that I think this plan was a bad mistake on my part, but there's a particular reason why I think it was a bad mistake.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM

sometimes i like this play...but here since you say your opponent is aggressive and there is a SMALL chance the turn checks through, i like to raise here, CO oftentimes caps and that turns into many big bets for you. THEN if he caps i'd consider the turn c-r for even more money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Barron
Old 07-14-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Preemptive comment

[ QUOTE ]
Before I get any more responses, let me just make it clear that I think this plan was a bad mistake on my part, but there's a particular reason why I think it was a bad mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, now this isn't a preemptive comment b/c i read the original post and then reply. didn't see this till just now but i put in a reason i think its a bad play, and now reading the replies i have a rare concurrant sentiment via 1800. he says the same thing: if this CO will cap you cost yourself a crapload ESPECIALLY those rare times its checked through on the turn.

-Barron
Old 07-14-2004, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who said you can't 3-bet and CR the turn. The 3-bet/CR seems like the best course againsts an agressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're still willing to risk giving your opponent a free card on the turn?! I could perhaps buy this line if the CO caps the flop, but the action you're proposing here makes no sense to me.