Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Scooter Libby is Judy Miller\'s source

and he has allowed her to speak. She can testify and get out of jail now.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Scooter Libby is Judy Miller\'s source

It's disgusting that she was in jail in the first place, but I'm glad she didn't buckle to the pressure.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's disgusting that she was in jail in the first place, but I'm glad she didn't buckle to the pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a career maker. She will end up with tons of money and fame throughout her career for this little stint in jail. She is the big winner, and she knows it.

I know several small time journalists who would kill to go to jail under these type of circumstances.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a career maker. She will end up with tons of money and fame throughout her career for this little stint in jail. She is the big winner, and she knows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, undoubtedly. However, I still don't think that the government should be pressuring journalists into revealing confidential sources.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, undoubtedly. However, I still don't think that the government should be pressuring journalists into revealing confidential sources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think journalists should have privileges that regular people don't have? Do you think the government should be deciding who is a "protected" journalist and who isn't?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:17 AM

Its disgusting that once she was sent to jail Libby or whoever let her sit there for 3 months.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:44 AM

Around here that would be illegal. The right to talk to journalists and not have to fear anyone finding out who you are is written into the constitution. Ie. a journalist cannot be forced to reveal his sources, and it is also illegal to try to find said sources in other ways.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:21 AM

I agree that Libby should have let her off the hook himself earlier, although I don't think he should even have to find himself in that tough situation as there should be laws protecting journalists' ability to protect their sources. There are downsides to a rule that goes either way. I just think the downsides are even greater when you don't allow sources to speak with a guarantee of anonymity.

The one wierd thing that I heard on the news is that Libby claims that he released Miller of her duty a year ago but she didn't believe that she was allowed to honor his release for some reason. The news report didn't go into specifics on this so I'm curious what all this exactly means.

Either way, as long as the prison stay wasn't too uncomfortable, I agree that many journalists would welcome it and Miller will cash in quite nicely from this as she probably should. I know I would.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think journalists should have privileges that regular people don't have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes --- the press is specifically mentioned in the Constitution as an instutition that should get special protections.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think journalists should have privileges that regular people don't have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes --- the press is specifically mentioned in the Constitution as an instutition that should get special protections.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

You might find this interesting:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/c...nt01/08.html#1