Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Trips on the river

Opponent is TAG and knows what he is doing. That said, I'm getting 4:1 on the river. Make this call without thinking about it and move on?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) converter

Hero ($410.50)
Button ($155.45)
SB ($233.30)
BB ($155.90)
UTG ($99)
MP ($591.80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $16, MP calls $16.

Flop: ($62) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, BB folds, MP calls $50.

Turn: ($162) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($162) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $52
Old 10-22-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Trips on the river

I think I call, given the good odds. It's a relatively small bet compared to the pot.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:27 PM

Can he put you on a continuation bet on flop while he holds 88-JJ?

That's the only reason I can see calling and that may account for his weak bet. So tough to fold here.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:04 AM

Hands you're losing to: He might limp with KQ or QJ--as you describe him, he'd fold QJ. So I'd worry about KQ.

Also, he'd limp and call your raise p/f with 77 55. Would he c/r you with sets though? That's something you'd know better than me.

He might have a flush, but as you describe him, he wouldn't call with incorrect odds. But what could he have? KQ of spades he'd probably raise you on the flop, JQ of spades might play this way I guess--but again, I think he'd let this go p/f. Well I suppose we'll slightly consider the possibility of a flush.

Hands you're beating: A pocket pair below a Q--He'd raise p/f most likely with JJ, 1010, 99. So that leaves, 88,66,44 etc. As you describe him, it doesn't seem like he'd just call the flop in this spot with 66 and below. So 88 or maybe 99?

He's not on a pure bluff here.

Conclusion: You're beating barely anything and losing to lotsa things. So, I fold.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:25 AM

I called and he turned over T9 of spades.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:27 AM

That's what I thought: either representing queens assuming continuation bet on flop or flush.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:41 AM

i wouldn't put him on better trips or even a boat, unless he flopped the boat. that would be unlikely since he's TAG and wouldn't call a raise pre flop from middle position with such a hand. played it on the flop like a flush draw and since he checked it on the turn, trying to diguise that he made it. however, the $52 bet on the river is small enough to want a call, yet small enough that's he's scared of a bigger flush or boat. I play the lower NL 6 handed games on poker stars every once in awhile and wouldn't be surprised if he made a bad call on the flop and made his flush. he may even have a better queen, but i would think he would try to re-raise you on the flop to eliminate the flush draw. so, i have to put him on a flush, maybe K-J of spades. for some reason, i don't put him on the ace high flush, because of his final bet.

not sure if you called the bet. but if you did, what happened? or did you fold, wondering if you made the correct play.