Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: is she hot?
hell yeah, she's so damn hot! 5 20.00%
God no! 20 80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Question for the Non-Christians

Old 09-03-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Question for the Non-Christians

Apparently you don't want Christians to be able to see the results of this poll.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:48 PM

Ok, people who say no. What would be your response/explanation for someone rising from the dead and ascending to heaven?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:35 PM

So far, it's 3 yes, 1 no.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:41 PM

Sorry. I guess I should have made the results available. My fault.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:23 PM

More information needed. I'm not even sure what the resurrection is supposed to be, the accounts in the bible are conflicting and frankly, don't make sense as a historical record.

Another point is that I'll never believe in original sin, the flood, etc, and the whole point of Jesus' death and resurrection was original sin. So the whole thing is just weird, and it wouldn't convince me of anything.

What would convince me is if:

-God suddenly appeared and spoke to whole world simultaneously, or even a few thousand people.
-The flood waters in New Orleans were miraculously removed biblical style.
- All Christians are suddenly miraculously healed of illness
- A faith healer could heal visible external injuries instantly
- So many other things....
Old 09-03-2005, 03:31 PM

I answered yes of course. If I were convinced that Jesus rose from the dead, I would return to Christianity and its not even close. It would have to be pretty strong evidence, because as of right now I am not even convinced Jesus even existed.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Here's a question: do YOU think one should? (rationally, of course)

I voted no. There's a huge gap in logic in the statement, "the resurrection happened IMPLIES the christian bible is the word of God." I see a lot of disagreements about what exactly makes a christian, so I've chosen "belief in the bible as the word of God" as my benchmark. I don't think you'll have any problems with this.

Clearly, proof of the resurrection would cause me to consider more carefully other sorts of apparently supernatural claims. It would in no way prove, or even really support at all, the entirety of christian mythology. It would simply mean that the bible has a story that is at least partially accurate. I'm sure we all know the whole "broken clock, twice a day, etc....." spiel.....
Old 09-03-2005, 05:44 PM

I guess I probably would answer no to this, though let me specify. This basically explains the line to me of "believe in God" vs. "become a Christian." If it was proven that Jesus was resurrected from the dead, this would certainly make me lean towards believing a God existed.

However, to "become a Christian" in my opinion means to become a follower of this God. As I’ve mentioned before I do not assume that if there is a God, he is worthy of following. What would make me a follower of this God would be evidence that through the crucifixion humans were "saved" or helped in some way. Because sacrifice is severely counterintuitive, I cannot support someone who uses sacrifice without being proven that it does work, and showed how it worked. Furthermore, some day the resurrection account could be proven completely false, yet that there is a God proven true. If through sacrifice this God did in fact save humans, I would follow that God as well.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:31 PM

I voted yes: If I was 100% sure that Jesus rose from the dead and then ascended into heaven 40 days later, I would have to believe in a Judeo-Christian god.

I probably would have trouble finding a christian relgion that felt right to me, but I would still be christian.