Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Intelligence and How it Rates (Comment on Ten Smartest)

I found David's post on the ten smartest interesting in a parlor game sort of way, but since I don't personally know any of the players he mentioned I saw no point in posting a reply. In my mind it takes a very specific skill set to be a strong poker player. What I am interested in is how on the money my "skill set" is and how important natural intelligence is in relation.

1. A full working knowledge of probabilites and strategic play.

1. An ability to accurately yet flexibly put opponents on a hand and thus choose the best option.

Obviously those two go together like peanut butter and jelly and are the most important skills a player can have.

2. Ability to make proper decisions at a rapid pace and under varying degrees of mental strain.

3. A disciplined nature that allows you to exploit positive situations like a machine stamping out bottle caps.

What I would be interested in hearing is if David has any general opinions on what level of intelligence is required at the various levels and formats.

Could someone with a 110 IQ learn to beat 200/400 mixed game in LV?

How about 30/60 HE only?

Would someone with a 190 IQ be a huge favorite to go from novice to WCP and crush the big game if he focused his entire life on the pursuit?

Could David devise a poker IQ test or does he feel that a standard IQ test would be the best judge of a players chance of success as he moves up?