Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2003, 05:37 AM

Default Hand reading Exercise

Hi Everyone:

Here's a hand I played earlier this evening in a $30-$60 game at The Bellagio. See if you can figure out my opponent's hand.

A loose player limped in from an early position, I raised with 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from late position, and an unknown player who had just recently sat down called from the big blind, and the three of us saw the flop for two bets each.

The flop came A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. It was checked to me, I bet, the player in the big blind called, and the original limper folded.

The turn was the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. We both checked.

The river was the 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. We both checked and then my opponent immediately threw his hand away conceding the pot to me.

So again the question is, what was his hand?

Best wishes,
mason
Old 11-08-2003, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Hand reading Exercise

Pretty tough. At first I was thinking he had a broadway draw, but then the Queen hit and he still mucked his hand. I think he would have turned over a pair, so I say he was a bad player and called you on the flop with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], hoping to pick up some kind of draw on the turn. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:49 AM

Well...seeings as to how I'm pretty loaded right now my best guess is it was a pretty big pile of trash to just throw it away on the river even after you checked the turn. My best guess would be something like a 45 suited of one of the flopped suits.

Bob S.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:52 AM

Mason,

The forum is so full of good stuff these days and I have so little time that I'm having an anxiety attack thinking about how much good stuff I'm missing. So I log on and am confronted with this.

I don't have a clue. Nothing makes sense. I'm hoping you made a typo [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,

Rick

Old 11-08-2003, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so I say he was a bad player and called you on the flop with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is weird. I read the hand and said, well, I guess he had something like 7s8s. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 09:08 AM

I'm with Gaylord & company. He has no pair. I'll put him on 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

H.B.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:31 AM

My first thought was 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

PokerPrince
Old 11-08-2003, 12:16 PM

Couldn't he have a 6? Granted his river auto-muck is pretty bad, but it seems possible to me.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:43 PM

I originally thought something like T9s or 98s, but why does he call the flop only to concede from then on? If he's calling the flop and planning on making a move at the pot, that's one thing, but to call and just concede. But he wouldn't auto-muck any pair after the turn and river going check-check. So the only thing that does make sense, is something like 98s with him planning to make a move on the pot on the turn, but when you check behind, he missed his move and knows you'll call 1 bet on the river, so he gives up.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:14 PM

I haven't looked at the others.
4 and 5 of spades.

D.