Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Two hands for critique: Overcalls

In both of these hands, I felt that I flopped a strong or very strong hand that would be somewhat difficult to outdraw (or could redraw). Were these good times for overcalls, or should I have pushed harder on the flop for either one?

*Hand 1: Flopped set on (somewhat)uncoordinated board
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

I only called here, to try to get more value on the turn &amp; river and hope they caught up a little bit. The board looked ragged and I knew I had 10 outs to a boat or quads if I got in trouble on the turn. Was this an ok move?
Turn: (3.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

SB thinks I'm taking a stab at the pot (or he got likely help from the A on the river) and tries to push me around. Just what I was hoping for.
Final Pot: 13.50 BB

*Hand 2: Flopped nut flush [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Does anyone condone slow-playing this flush, or should I be scared of the board pairing? This is the one I was more torn about. Thoughts?

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Thanks for feedback,

Freakin
Old 10-15-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Two hands for critique: Overcalls

Hand 2 - Raise the @#$% flop!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:00 PM

Hand 1: Is SB very aggressive? If he is, with only 1 person to act after you I might pop the flop. If he plays back at you, there could be all kinds of action that you're not tapping into because you never gave him a chance to re-raise. If he's timid then calling might be ok, but having never given him a chance to re-raise you have no idea how much action he might have given you. On the turn, maybe now you can raise, but the problem is that it makes it obvious you were slowplaying something. You pick up one overcall on these streets, but SB might have given you even more than that if he capped either round. SB now CR the river, which is perfect, but you might have gotten even more out of him earlier.

Hand 2: I like your overcalls on the flop here just because there are a few more people to act behind you and UTG+1 might kill your action by 3 betting and knocking out UTG+2 and MP3. If people are still drawing to the single [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] that would be ideal; you have the nut flush. They might have trips and a strong redraw on your flush, but raising the flop won't get them to fold. By the turn you only have MP3 to sucker in, so raising here is pretty good. If you were lucky another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] might be willing to pay to see the river. (like a Q who doesn't suspect you have the A)
Old 10-15-2004, 04:15 PM

That was one of the problems in the first situation. SB had post-flop agg. or &lt;.5 (only had seen 50 hands, however).

Hand two, it seemed unlikely to me that anyone had a set. PFR at the table at the time was about 6%, and i'd seen almost half the table cap with PPs under T's. I did keep that open as a possiblilty though, but seeing it called/folded around the table on teh flop made it more unlikely. I was *hoping* to snare some lower club draws or made flushes.