Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: I think I\'ve worn out my welcome!

Ok, I just talked with a couple of the guys at soccer practice and they said that they honest and truly thought I was out of town last week. They also said that they didnt mine me winning so long as I promise to keep knocking Tony(the hot head) out. They would pay $10 to just see his face turn red.I also offered to lend them a few of my secrets...(Sklansky,Harrington,Malmuth,Brunson,ect ...)

On a side note, I have another question for all of you. I have very steady hands when I am involved in a pot. When I win a pot however, my hands still tremble. More so if I really had a hand as apposed to when I'm bluffing. I play in bigger buyins during the weekdays but I dont notice it any more so on a $200 buyin compared to a $10 buyin. I've been seriously playing for about a year now. Will this ever go away.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I just talked with a couple of the guys at soccer practice and they said that they honest and truly thought I was out of town last week. They also said that they didnt mine me winning so long as I promise to keep knocking Tony(the hot head) out. They would pay $10 to just see his face turn red.I also offered to lend them a few of my secrets...(Sklansky,Harrington,Malmuth,Brunson,ect ...)

On a side note, I have another question for all of you. I have very steady hands when I am involved in a pot. When I win a pot however, my hands still tremble. More so if I really had a hand as apposed to when I'm bluffing. I play in bigger buyins during the weekdays but I dont notice it any more so on a $200 buyin compared to a $10 buyin. I've been seriously playing for about a year now. Will this ever go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you mean the shaking, and not the winning of pots. Who cares, as long as it's after the betting is over it doesn't matter, does it?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure what you're concerned about, as long as you're not giving away information before the hand is over.

I used to have this 'tell' of sorts when I raked a pot where my bet wasn't called. Anytime I was bluffing, I would grin slightly as I raked the chips in. Anytime I had it, I had a more serious look on my face.

The reason for it was of course I was pleased when I got away with one. The reason I didn't smile when I wanted a call is because I was disappointed.

Someone once pointed it out to me and I realized that they were watching me even after the hand was over.

I found that I couldn't control my grinning problem so I decided I should grin every time I won.

Not that this is even relavent but I felt like sharing.

PG
Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 PM

Dump your chips to your wife!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dump your chips to your wife!

[/ QUOTE ]
Best idea yet lol
Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... It sticks in my craw.

Plus, I'd hate to tempt poker gods that way. It'd be fitting Karma to give a player who lost on purpose the mother of all losing streaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the cut of your jib, Zetack
Old 11-16-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much agree - except that you shouldn't take a TOTAL dive. Instead of applying your proven 'beat this game' strategy. Simply expirement w/other strategies or tactics. Push where you might not have, see how they respond, etc...

Now you're investing in a) you're welcome there
and b) Poker experiences/skills/tools

[/ QUOTE ]
Ill try this and see how it goes. I like the thinking here, cheap poker schooling 101.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify - not advocating you take a dive...Just saying that if you feel the NEED to take one, you should do it this way. Its cheap poker schooling while you're hanging out/having fun with friends. I've used my friendly home tourney this way FREQUENTLY. Not so much to 'take dives' as much as keep it 'fun' for me and learn a lot in the process... about what does or doesn't work and why or why not...play a hand unusually - see if you find any merits or benefits in it...bet out where you would've checked...try playing your reads more than you usually do...try ...etc...etc... So many possibilities. So much to learn.

Also - share the wealth. If people are interested and open, help 'em get better when you can.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:28 PM

Show up with a nice gift everyone can enjoy purchased from your last win (good bottle of booze, food item or $5 Starbucks card for everyone) then go win again, everyone will love you! Plus EV play, trust me.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:11 PM

I am a regular in some of the small buy-in tournaments in Atlantic City and I routinely win/cash in them. I am generally a large favorite when I play in social home tournaments like the one you described.

There is a different psychology to these home tournaments. You're hanging out with a bunch of soccer dads who have never dreamed of winning the big one, as you probably have. This is not the place to debate the writings of Malmuth or whether to bet second pair on the river for value. Your social interaction with these people becomes much more important than poker. See your comments about the "hothead" above. Nobody wants him to win because he has "JERK" written on his forehead.

You have to remember this is like the company softball picnic and not the World Series. Be humble and gracious, quiet in the knowledge that you are a huge favorite.

If there are people who don't want you there, it is probably not because you keep winning. I respectfully suggest that where someone else is known as "the hothead" you may be known as "the expert" and that is -EV. Win with grace, don't teach anyone how to play, don't spout odds during all-ins, don't nitpick about trivial rules, congratulate with a smile everyone who outdraws you. You will be known as an affable nice guy who plays more poker than they do instead of the pro who comes here and runs over the game every week. They will invite you first to see if they can take down the "ringer" in the game.

But if you put a different target on your head your welcome is going to wear out quickly.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:15 AM

I think your write Fletch; I am known as the expert because I am always the one they ask for rulings (EV-). I know that it bothers one of the parents. He once said “Why is Scott always in charge?” and another added, “Because he knows all the rules.”(EV-) I get along great with everyone but I think I will try to keep my head low tomorrow. I also have a habit of spouting out the pot odds for someone, something I never would do around my Wed & Thur games. I can see where that could bother someone, Thanx for the advice.

P.S. I am bringing a jug of Gentleman Jack for all to enjoy (EV+). They will probably think I’m getting them drunk so I can take their money again, Ha Ha.
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]