Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 04:06 PM

Default AK against a very good player.

By my standards at any rate. Notice the poster in the CO.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $20.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero...

- Jim
Old 12-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: AK against a very good player.

Call the turn. IF you dont improve on the river you have to decide whether this cillian will bet AK unimproved. Most players will check the river with AK here. You can probably fold the river UI, but some players will keep pushing even with AK.

Villians range could be as wide as 88+, AQs+. I think you have enough equity there to try to improve on the turn.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:29 PM

I call the turn here everytime due to the combination of having outs to the best hand (gutshot + dirty overcards) and the chance of chopping with another AK. The real question IMO is what we do UI on the river if he bets again. If this guy is a solid ABC TAG then we can fold, if he is slightly on the LAG side then calling seems ok. Either way our river decision is very player dependent.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:00 PM

Why are you putting 88, 99 and TT in the capping range?

- Jim
Old 12-18-2005, 08:02 PM

I think this player is better than an ABC TAG. But I don't think this situation really asks for creativity from the villain.

- Jim
Old 12-19-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you putting 88, 99 and TT in the capping range?

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's not an ABC TAG, he may be capping with some non-standard hands in order to throw you off. I think that extends his range enough to make your turn call profitable.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 AM

I agree, but I didn't put those hands in his range. Maybe that was a mistake on my part. I put him on the normal capping range and mucked the turn getting 7-1 (needing 11-1 for the gutshot with no decent chance of making up the difference and pretty much throwing out my overcard outs).

There's not much in the way of comments here, so maybe this is an easy call in people's minds and I'm way off base.

- Jim