Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Crappy turn card oop how to handle it?

Party 5/10 full. Okay i have just recently started taking shots at 5/10 moving from 2/4. I have noticed alot of turn semi bluffing free showdown plays and even pure bluffs with turn raises alot nore often than at 2/4 and i am unsure how to deal with it.
Villian in this hand is not a lag but very aggressive when he gets involved in a pot. He has 3-bet two of my open raises from EP once with KQs the other time with AQ off and played both flops very aggresively with nothing.

Pre flop: folds to me in a MP i open raise 99, folds to villian who 3-bets, folds to me and i call.

Flop: 10 8 4 rainbow
I bet, he raises, i 3-bet and he calls

Turn: A
I bet/fold.

This happened a couple of times during last night's session where i had a nice PP with a good flop only to see an ace or king on the turn. How do you guys deal with this? Comments on the other streets are welcome also.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Crappy turn card oop how to handle it?

I think villain's position may impact the hand a little. I'm going to assume he's in LP. I generally check/call the flop and bet/fold any non-A turn in this situation. I've experimented a bit with this line at 5/10 and found it to be quite effective in protecting vulnerable hands. It avoids inflating the pot, and often catches villain off guard. I've never really discussed the effectiveness of this line, and welcome any comments.

In your particular hand, I'd likely check/call the flop and check/fold the turn. Though, if villain is capable of folding a pair like JJ, or QQ, I'd take a bet/fold line. Obtaining such a specific read can be difficult, and therefore it's likely I'd check/fold the turn here.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:43 AM

I think you a good old c/r may be able to get him off QQ/JJ?TT.

But if you do believe that A hit him, check/fold it
Old 11-29-2005, 10:53 AM

Looks good. Most people (semi-lags even) don't get this out of line on the turn unless its SBvsBB. Then all hell breaks loose.
Make a note and bomb this fool with hella checkraises in the future.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:43 PM

check/calling this flop is way weak IMHO. I like the bet/3bet, bet/fold line a lot.

c/raising the turn is interesting, but I can't see an aggressive player being pushed off a better hand.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:48 PM

You need to bet threebet the turn against these players when you have strong hands. And don't bet/fold the turn against them if they are frequently raising you with air. It's not a crime to check/call.