Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 04:36 PM

Default PS $500,000 Guaranteed, Donkified or Tough Competition?

Hello all,

I played in my second PS $200+15 yesterday, and fared pretty well. In general, I thought that many players were quite good, but that there were a huge number of very poor players as well. I fully admit that I am far from being an excellent tournament player, and wouldn't bet on myself against most posters here. I have to say though, that the $500,000 guaranteed felt alot like the competition in the $5 and $10 rebuys, although I realize it's not easy to make these kind of judgments.

I periodically checked thepokerdb.com as I usually do to get an idea of who I'm up against (although I can't say it helps much) and while I realize that many players in this tourney may have had alot of success on other sites, it surprised me that my table was full of players who had never won, or come close to winning anything on PS, and had very few ITM finishes. I think only two players of the nine, when I looked them up, had what I would term a respectable record, and please understand that I haven't won much myself so my standards aren't that high.

If you have played this tourney, how did you find the competition? Is half of this tourney's field made up of wealthy donks that never win anything or am I underestimating the quality of the field?

Holdemphile
Old 12-12-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: PS $500,000 Guaranteed, Donkified or Tough Competition?

There were 3400 players in this tournament. There's not even 3400 good poker players on the planet. What do you expect?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM

IMHO: In any large-field MTT, particularly on-line ones, at least half the players simply serve to provide everyone else with extra chips. Think of them as a re-buy. That is not to say that a donkey with a horseshoe in his [expletive deleted] can't send you packing early.

Sorry if this reply offends anyone, but the fact remains that the tourney will last several hours, but half the field will disappear within the first 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but the fact remains that the tourney will last several hours

[/ QUOTE ]

you've clearly played the 500k a lot of times.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:05 PM

looking up players on pokerdb isn't always going to give you the best idea. I hardly ever play Stars, but I'd like to think that I'm a pretty decent player. I got 8th last night, thanks for running us all over Zee, nice work!
Old 12-12-2005, 06:22 PM

BTW, congrats Justin. That's really amazing. I'm sure we'll see your name at the top of the leader board for years to come. I have checked out your blog a few times, and found your commentary to be excellent. I would have watched if I realized you were still in when I got knocked out.

Holdemphile