Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Too Timid for AA Post Flop?

My image is rather tight so a preflop raise in cut-off I felt would devalue my hand here. Nonetheless the button and SB also call even a cap after being trapped. My question is whether you would be inclined to put opponent on QQ or KK on the turn.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Ah (two pair, aces and kings).
BB has Ac Kd (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: BB wins 13.50 BB. </font>
Old 09-03-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Too Timid for AA Post Turn?

Interesting hand...I find in these situations I'm either missing a lot of bets or spewing chips...
I think I would raise the turn and call a three bet and on the river.........
Gosh, I think in the heat of battle I would call, but looking back on it I think you can pretty safely fold. So I say fold the river, but I'm not sure how often I'd actually do it myself. Calling the river couldn't be that big of a mistake.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:57 AM

The reason I did not fold is the probability BB was playing a pocket pair JJ or lower. AK wasn't really a strong thought in my mind the way this hand went down but probably should have been since it's more probable to be dealt pre-flop than the pocket pairs. I am just wondering if I am slowing down in the right place or should I wait til the river. This is an especially great flop for my aces under normal circumstances but a preflop cap from the BB is difficult to read sometimes.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Too Timid for AA Post Flop?

I don't think you can put him on JJ or lower -- the turn would have certainly slowed him down with these hands...unless he was just auto betting while planning to check the river. I think AK, the way the hand was played and considering your cards as well as the board, is the only hand you can put him on. Oops maybe not...QQ is also a legitimate hand to put him on. Either way I think you need to raise the turn (call his 3 bet, bet anything but a k on the river which happened) and thinking even more about it, I call him no matter what on the river. Even if it's -EV, you make it up in the note you write after seeing his hand. And an honorable mention for reasons to raise PF: If i actually had info and stats on you and you limped from that late, I might fold KK. (being sarcastic obviously, and bad players don't think this way)
Old 09-03-2005, 06:44 AM

1. cap the flop
2. raise the turn
3. small stakes is generall for 3/6 and higher. This should be in the micro limit forum.
EDIT: 4. don't post results, it messes with your learning, i promise you.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I say fold the river, but I'm not sure how often I'd actually do it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible advice. The pot is huge, you cannot fold the river for one bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the river couldn't be that big of a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not a mistake it's the correct play.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:50 AM

Thanks, you're right.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:02 AM

I think you played this well. A reraise on the flop is a strong indication of either QQ or KK (though the pre-flop cap inclines it more to KK).

Since you didn't have any read of your opponent, it's unlikely that somebody would have capped pre-flop and reraised flop with AK (in that case he should be a real maniac).

I would have raised the turn (and put him on KK)- and made a crying call on the river. Remember -you need to win only about 7-8% of the time to make it profitable.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
small stakes is...for 2/4 and higher

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP