Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: An Incredibly Mundane Question About Cold-Calling

I think this is a bad cold-call. You need to be very sure that you will get a multi-way pot. If you are wrong too often, it will cost you.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:36 AM

I'm not tight-passive, but I don't often see the fields I like when coldcalling with QJs. Danger of being dominated from a standard TAG is pretty high, and I don't often see a situation where I coldcall with it and the field is going to make my draws profitable.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:47 AM

Yeah, I don't really like this one.

You're almost definitely crushed by UTG+1 and you'll have poor relative position for the rest of the hand. You can't count on lots of other people coming in. I don't think being able to play your draw aggressively is that big a deal unless UTG+1 will actually fold hands that beat you instead of just calling down. I'd be way more happy with it if UTG+1 raised, the fish called, then you called.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:00 AM

I don't like the call. What are the most likely hands for the weak-tighty to have? AA-TT, AK-AJ, maybe KQ. Most of those dominate you, and having an aggressive third player in the pot only helps a little.

Say the flop comes Jxx or Qxx and the weak-tighty leads. Do you call/raise/fold? Calling sucks, because the aggressive player behind you will raise alot. Raising sucks, because you are now putting in alot of money with a hand that is probably a big dog to the weak-tighty. Folding sucks because you could very well be in the lead.

You just won't flop big enough often enough to make this hand work 3 ways (probably not even 4).
Old 09-01-2005, 11:23 AM

What happened to the theory you about entering a pot with a a raise with a raise or fold. You have no info on whats going on behind you and what first better may do. Its a fold to me and if you are going to play it reraise
Old 09-01-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a bad cold-call. You need to be very sure that you will get a multi-way pot. If you are wrong too often, it will cost you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Max. This guy raised UTG+1 and you don't know what's gonna happen preflop behind you, but there aren't many guys acting behind you.

Ro
Old 09-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

you have an 18% pfr to act behind you? he may be a fish, but don't let him help other people make money off of you. i just really hate cold calling and would muck this fairly frequently. for those who don't like this are the sentiments the same for KQs?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not so much.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and if you are going to play it reraise

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like reraising from this position. Because I really doubt our hand is going to play well HU with the orginal raiser.

I also interpret the Original raisers aggression rating a little differently. I think a 1.4 type, probably is more likely to call down rather than fold. So I don't think we would have a whole lot of fold equity.

Also there is a good chance that the LAG behind us will either call three cold or cap for fun, so we are right back in the same situation.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so incredibly mundane, I'm just gonna say what this guy said. He's got a cigar so he probably knows what he's talking about.