Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 01:37 AM

Default all in or stop and go?

9 handed, CO+1 open raises i'm in bb w/ TT. Blinds at 100/200, I have 1520 before posting the 200 he has like 8,000. He raised w/ a KJ from CO+3 earlier and called a check raise all in w/ the KJ on an AJrag board of two clubs (he had no clubs). So I know I have no fold equity but is my hand too big here not to reraise pre-flop? Or should I go with a standard stop and go push which would be a $920 bet into a $1300 pot.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: all in or stop and go?

I'm AI pf.

You're ahead of his range, and as such want to
a) charge him full price to see a flop to try to get lucky.
b) not let him get away from a hand that completely misses the flop.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:05 AM

I think this is a perfect spot for a stop and go. You'll be acting first on the flop. You're ahead of his range. You have no folding equity. And there's a better chance that he has overcards then a smaller pair.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a perfect spot for a stop and go. You'll be acting first on the flop. You're ahead of his range. You have no folding equity. And there's a better chance that he has overcards then a smaller pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand.
Assuming he has over and you use the stop n go:
If he hits, he calls and you would have wanted a fold.
If he misses, he folds and you would have wanted a call.
(read on the villain suggests strongly we wont be able to get him to fold if he hits middle pair or something).
Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 AM

A perfect application of the stop and go is a pair versus overcards. If you push, he'll call and see five cards. If you stop and go and he misses, he'll fold and only see three cards. So you're more likely to win the pot by utilizing a stop and go, even if the pot is slightly smaller. Add in some possibility of him having a slightly bigger pair (like JJ) and folding to a scary board and it's an even better spot.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 AM

Just what I want to hear, two quality players arguing each side of the coin. I guess it comes down to is it more important to win a smaller pot a higher % of the time? Or get all my money in pre as a slight favorite, therefore winning a larger pot less than if I used a stop and go. Another question say I were to have done a stop and go, and the flop comes T52, should I just check here and let him put me AI? Or does that reveal too much about my hand after calling so much of my stack preflop?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop comes T52, should I just check here and let him put me AI? Or does that reveal too much about my hand after calling so much of my stack preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

No brainer... check. If he would potentially fold to the stop and go, you can't afford to lose him here.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 PM

Thats what I thought but it just seems so obvious that I have a good hand, kinda like someone in limit who 3 bets preflop then checks on a K rag rag flop, you just know he has KK, well at least at 5/10 and lower I know for sure.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats what I thought but it just seems so obvious that I have a good hand, kinda like someone in limit who 3 bets preflop then checks on a K rag rag flop, you just know he has KK, well at least at 5/10 and lower I know for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference here is that you weren't a pre-flop aggressor. Check, let him put you all in and go "Wheeeeeeeeeee"
Old 12-20-2005, 08:49 PM

I'm still bugged by this hand.

Now that the OP is here, what's CO+1, what's the buyin and, if you recall, what's your image at the table?