Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Stars $27, Overpair in a raised pot

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t2930)
CO (t1765)
Button (t720)
SB (t2225)
BB (t355)
UTG (t1925)
Villain (t2600)
MP1 (t980)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t400, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t255 (All-In).

Flop: (t1205) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

Reads: Villain has been looser than average, but nothing too crazy. He was playing a little wild postflop, but preflop he seemed to be limp/calling much more than open raising.

Once he bet the flop I had very mixed feelings about the right play. Pushing seems a little risky, but maximizes my value vs underpairs (77-99 are possible here and won't fold to my push imo) and protects my hand against overcards. I also thought about just calling and re-evaluating on the turn, but I don't like this option very much. I am unable to protect my hand, underpairs may be scared off by an overcard on the turn, and he might push the turn with AK/AQ unimproved and make me fold the best hand. Folding seemed really weak at the time vs this opponent, but I think it definitely has merit. All comments are greatly appreciated.

Also, how would you play in preflop? Any arguments for folding? Re-raising preflop is obviously the worst option (worse hands fold, dominating hands/coinflips push). A call seemed right to me at the time, but given my tough spot on the flop I thought folding might be right.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I think AA/KK are much less likely given the 4xbb preflop raise as opposed to 3xbb that he had been opening for when he did open raise. Based on the way villain was playing, I don't think he would raise AA/KK 4xbb there (I'm not saying its not possible, just not likely).
Old 12-16-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Stars $27, Overpair in a raised pot

I fold pre-flop, and this common situation with undercards on the flop illustrates one of the reasons why. JJ, I probably call.

Having reached this point on the flop, you have to push and hope for the best.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:26 PM

that's a pretty bad call pf IMO.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 PM

The half pot bet could be a continuation bet with a missed AK/AQ. I think your stack is healthy enough to let this one go..."No set - No Bet".

However, if you think you have the best hand, you need to push and hope he can laydown a flush draw.

John
Old 12-17-2005, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, anyone else have any input?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:44 PM

I fold preflop definitely. At this stage of the game with these blinds I never call, it's always raise or fold.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:53 PM

I would fold this preflop because I don't want to take on the other big stack in this situation. Since you called, I would put in a raise that would pot committ you and your opponent after the flop. Very often when someone puts in a 4 x bb pre-flop raise in this spot, they have a middle pocket pair. You have a good chance to stack your opponent.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:14 PM

Fold preflop.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:19 PM

I push here often, and its most likely a leak.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:49 PM

I don't get it....

Flush draw or under pair is actually my best guess. He could have ya so I might consider calling and re-evaluating the turn.... but I totally suck in these spots so you should probably do the opposite of what I just said since I understand calling is about the worst option. If you called PF you should probably stick with it here too....

Just my opinion...but I have lots of leaks and this could be one.