Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Small quirky pot vs. Gobboboy

It’s the 11+R on Stars. I haven’t been at the table long and have only played a couple pots, neither particularly remarkable.

I have something like 160K and I’m in the big blind and we’re at the 6K/12K/600 level and the small blind is “Gobboboy,” whom I suspect of being Gobboboy, and who has 150K or so. EMP calls all-in for 8K or so, and it’s folded to LMP who calls all-in for 10.5K or so. Gobboboy completes. I wake up with 3h2c but just check.

The flop comes Qh6h2h. Gobboboy checks and I bet 16K and Gobboboy folds.

If Gobboboy called I planned to bet 32K or so on a blank turn but to fold to most bets. If a heart turned I probably would have checked behind a check with the intent of calling a river bet, and probably folded to a bet but not before evaluating bet size and any timing tells I could glean.

Now, I think a bet here is very correct, though of course if you disagree I’m eager to hear it. I’d love to hear any thoughts about the bet size, given the two sidepots, one of which was dry. Also, Gobboboy proceeded to say “Nice bet… I guess” and then he made many gigantic bets in the next orbit and then he kept on saying jerkish things in chat. I don’t mean to badmouth Gobboboy; if there’s a chance a successful-seeming tournament player was repulsed by my play, maybe there’s a reason.

Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Small quirky pot vs. Gobboboy

If you think you have the best hand and you think that gobboboy has outs against you (which he always does when you have a pair of twos), then you should bet. It's not like eliminating these shortstacks will give you immediate improvement, plus there is a sidepot of like 3k that is not insignificant.

If you were at the final table that would be a different story because you earn immediate money by them busting out.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:48 PM

There is no problem with your bet. The "check it down" thing is probably the most misunderstood idea in poker. He's probably still fed up about all the PCA seats. Sorry gobbo.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 PM

It’s reasonable to assume I have the best hand, right? (Gobbo’s completing/checking with a lot, I’d guess.) And a good majority of the time I don’t have the best hand, I’m drawing to beat him.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 PM

It's fine if you wanted to bet. I called with the intention of helping knock out the people, but you betting here with a very vulnerable hand just seemed bad to me at the time. In hindsight I shouldn't say anything at the table, and I didn't even know you were a 2+2er. So I apologize.

What other 'jerky' things did I say? I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Seems about right though, I'm a bastard. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's fine if you wanted to bet. I called with the intention of helping knock out the people, but you betting here with a very vulnerable hand just seemed bad to me at the time. In hindsight I shouldn't say anything at the table, and I didn't even know you were a 2+2er. So I apologize.

What other 'jerky' things did I say? I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Seems about right though, I'm a bastard. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you also completed here for odds, and not just to knock players out. With 2 all ins + blinds + antes that pot is huge and it's definitely okay to complete with any 2 here. It's also okay for nate to protect his hand with a bet since knocking these 2 players out really doesn't give any significant real money rewards.

Knowing gobbo fairly well, I doubt he intentionally said anything 'jerky' at the table, but he often has a quirky self-deprecating sarcasm in chat, that I suppose in certain situations could be interpreted wrong.

Really much ado about nothing here, you both made good decisions, and some stuff was put in chat towards the end of a tournament after 5-6 hrs of play that may or may not have been typed/interpreted correctly by people who have been staring at a monitor until the wee hours of the night.

-Rizen
Old 12-16-2005, 03:32 PM

You didn’t think I was a 2+2er! My cunning plan worked!

Like I said, the fact that it seemed bad to you – or seemed to seem bad to you – was what prompted me to post this hand. It seems pretty clear to me that the chance I’m protecting the best hand or, if not, am drawing live, justifies the bet. I also have a hand that’s unusually sensitive to the number of opponents and I want 2 instead of 3.

As for other jerky things – after TheRedBaron made a suspicious fold preflop getting pretty nice odds to call an all-in closing the action, you said something about collusion. I can’t remember anything else.

Do you think that the slight extra chance of knocking two players out at that stage of the tournament – something like 115 remaining and 99 get paid, if I recall, for those that weren’t in the hand – justifies not betting this flop?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:43 PM

I've been convinced that the bet is fine. I'm just a moron who doens't think things through at all, please forgive me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The collusion thing... It actually was really suspicious but I figured he was just a moron or someone who didn't want to show his crappy hand, so I just said "CHEATS" in the chat. I joke around a lot, and if you hang around me in real life at all I say random things a lot.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the small blind is “Gobboboy,” whom I suspect of being Gobboboy

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant deduction! What tipped you off? It's not exactly a common name, like Bort (let alone the avatar).

I think you played the hand fine, you should never doubt yourself because of what people say in the chat box after you take a pot against them. That being said, Gobbo's a stand up guy who just likes to jab at others in a way that might be pushing it (like me on some of my 2+2 replies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

"We need more Bort license plates in the gift shop. I repeat we are sold out of Bort license plates."
Old 12-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Well, I wasn’t really doubting myself. But these were strange conditions and I wanted to check my line. Do people really think my turn plan, or what semblance of one I have, is good? And is 16K really a good bet size?