Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Stupid Laws

I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt today. Which makes me think, there seem to be three types of laws.

1. Direct laws against doing something (murder, rape etc).
2. Laws to protect people from themselves. Seat belts, drugs etc
3. Laws that stop people from doing things that could make them do something that's already illegal under type 1 - public drinking, guns etc

I say it's encumbent upon people to act responsibility, and if they don't they'll either hurt themselves or break an already existing law which deals with that act. I say scrap everything that falls into category 2 or 3 - I'm sick of being treated like a child. Because one moron lights a firework in his face fireworks are banned - how about assuming most people will act responsibly, and that those who don't deserve the consequences of their retardation? Natural selection seems to have done a pretty good job thus far.

It's getting to the point where living in the west, particularly the US and UK, the two places I've lived about half my life equally, government has become a parent.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Stupid Laws

If I get into an accident with a guy and I'm at fault, I might have to pay his medical bills. I'd be upset if I realized I was paying ten to fifty times more than necessary because he didn't take the two seconds to put his seatbelt on.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:12 PM

You should obey even stupid laws, it's all society asks in return for keeping you safe.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should obey even stupid laws, it's all society asks in return for keeping you safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about marijuana laws? According to recent TV commercials, marijuana laws keep me from getting mauled by vicious guard dogs and sticking my fist in my mouth.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll assume this was meant as a joke, otherwise, I'll go ballistic and not get any work done. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM

TheWill: That's the perfect example of a society that's way over-litigious, one stupid law to cover another one. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's stupidity, cap the expenses.

henrik: Not sure if you're joking or not, but I don't want society to save me from myself, that's the point.

hmk: Sure you're joking [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I regard marijuana laws exactly the same way. I don't smoke weed, but if I did it'd be my personal choice and I don't need protected from myself. And if I did do something harmful to others as a result, there are already laws against that.

I should also say for the record that I do normally wear my seatbelt, I just forgot today, think I'd taken it off to rummage around looking for something. I wear my seatbelt because I don't want to die in a car wreck, that's the choice I make - I shouldn't have to wear it to avoid getting fined.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt today. Which makes me think, there seem to be three types of laws.

1. Direct laws against doing something (murder, rape etc).
2. Laws to protect people from themselves. Seat belts, drugs etc
3. Laws that stop people from doing things that could make them do something that's already illegal under type 1 - public drinking, guns etc

It's getting to the point where ... government has become a parent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those #2 laws are called "paternal laws". I hate them too.

[ QUOTE ]
I say scrap everything that falls into category 2 or 3 - I'm sick of being treated like a child.

[/ QUOTE ]

#3 laws are for protecting people from other people -- and I like them very much. I want it to be illegal for YOU to get drunk & drive & significantly increase the risk that you will kill me & my family. I want it to be illegal for you to bring a loaded gun on a plane, where who knows what you might do with it.

But, as for #2 laws, I think everyone should have the right to hurt themselves (after a certain age).

[ QUOTE ]
If I get into an accident with a guy and I'm at fault, I might have to pay his medical bills. I'd be upset if I realized I was paying ten to fifty times more than necessary because he didn't take the two seconds to put his seatbelt on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The law should/could be written, then, so that you only pay the portion of the damage that you are responsible for (had the other person been acting responsibly). So, he should be able to not wear his seatbelt, realizing that he will be responsible for any increase in damages that result by not wearing one.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The law should/could be written, then, so that you only pay the portion of the damage that you are responsible for (had the other person been acting responsibly). So, he should be able to not wear his seatbelt, realizing that he will be responsible for any increase in damages that result by not wearing one.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is the concept in law called contributory negligence. I am not sure if it would kick in under this exact example or not. But, basically that is what contributory negligence deals with. Whether there are actual laws or only has to do when figuring damages/settlements in lawsuits I do not know. There are a few lawyers on board who might address this.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't need protected from myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do... definitely. BTW, get yourself to New Hampshire, no seatbelt laws for those who are of age, no helmet laws and, since I'm going on, no state income or sales tax. Just don't get into an accident.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Many of these "paternal laws" are in place because they help the society, at least in theory. Keeping citizens from dieing in droves trough seatbelt laws keep insurence rates lower, and keeps the productive elements of society in motion.

This is not a big problem in America but in africa, where there are very easy ways to die young (AIDS), the workforce is abrubtly truncated around age 40. This is a teriible situation forthese small nations. While this is very extreme it is not altogether implausibile.

Of course the real reason is to increase revenues through many more tickets given, as well as give the cops a reason to pull you over etc.