Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Default AJ in early position

What do you do with AJ in early position when you have around 12BB at a full table?

Is it an automuck? Do you try to open for 3BB? In that case how easy is it to fold if someone comes over the top? If you get callers do you still play it for TPTK value? Is it a push preflop?

I dont really see any comfortable way to play this hand, please advise.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: AJ in early position

Well this would largely depend on the size of the other stacks at the table...but from reading harrington, he advocates raising AJ half the time and calling half the time when you arent under pressure...but you are just inside of his "orange zone" (M of 5-10)...so I would probably play this...and push probably a lot of the time...but again it largely depends on the stacks of the other players
Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 AM

Well, if you have only 12BB left, most likely there will be a couple of stacks that cover you left to act. Unless its a satelite bubble.

I'm more concerned about the middle stage of a regular tourney. Although I would also love to hear if you would change your play if this were at a 10/9 handed final table.
It just seems like an awkward spot. Is it push/fold? What if you have 14BB?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:03 AM

Yeah, it is an awkward spot...i think at a final table i would be more inclined to fold because I dont want to get knocked out by a big stack in 10th when there is usually 2 or 3 short stacks...with the payout structures as they usually are...i want to last as long as possible but A J is a little too weak for me to push (usually) at a final table with my stack size as it is OOP
Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Depends on the dynamics, but generally I think I'd push if there was an ante, and fold if there wasn't.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the dynamics, but generally I think I'd push if there was an ante, and fold if there wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds about right. no antes i'd push with 10x or so.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:41 PM

I would consider limp/push depending on read from raiser.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Depends on the stacks 1-3 positions behind me. If I think I can use fold equity against them when they are in the blinds, I wait and look for a better opportunity to push and take blinds and/or double up. Here, you are very likely to get called by one or more big stacks.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:59 PM

by limp/push. i mean limp, and possibly consider pushing to a raiser, depending on who it is that raised. Can't argue with a fold here, that's for sure.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM

If table is tight, I would probably make whatever my standard raise is here. If table is loose I probably go ahead and muck.