Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-28-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Book\'s for NL Hold\'em

I'm looking for good book's about NL Hold'em. I have read the two book's from Harrington. Can you give me a tip, which book's are good for read about NL Hold'em.

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Book\'s for NL Hold\'em

Pot Limit & No Limit Hold'em

A lot of people well say Super System also butI do not agree. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 11:03 AM

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book
Old 11-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Use the search function for more info. There's been lots of posts about this topic, and you should find more detailed info.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

[/ QUOTE ]

Then HoH vol 1, then PL and NL hold em by Ciaffone/Reuben.

Then Super System.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:39 PM

Do not use an apostrophe with plurals. "Books," not "book's."

Old 12-04-2005, 02:52 AM

super system is out of date and potentially damaging to most NL plaers nowadays.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:57 AM

Out of date hardly, damaging, yes, if not understood properly. There are several people that are well-known online that base their style of play exclusively on super system.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of date hardly, damaging, yes, if not understood properly. There are several people that are well-known online that base their style of play exclusively on super system.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what changes should be done after reading SS? not to overuse semibluffs 'cos there are too many callers nowaday in online poker? not to be so aggressive and just play TA but not as much as described in SS? could more experienced players elaborate more on that, got SS but I'm before reading it, so want to know on a case I won't spot those tricky damaging my play information, TIA
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 AM

You have to adjust to the table you're at. When you're playing against weak opponents, you have to take the sophisticated stuff out. I wouldn't say don't semi-bluff, but, don't overdo it. Read it, think about what he says, and slowly work it in to your play. The only way to know what will work and what won't is through experience. And, like I said, some plays work at some tables, others will not.
He has some great advice in there about playing AA and KK, especially from early position. He talks about being more aggressive with them in late position. He's absolutely right about that. Be hyper-aggressive with AA and KK UTG and UTG+1 and see how many times you get outdrawn. Nothing can put you on tilt faster. What he says will start to make a lot of sense then.
I think what a lot of guys mean when they say you can go broke by following what he says deals a lot with his "favorite" hands, suited connectors. He even advocates limping in with suited one- and two-gappers from any position: "With any two cards to a straight flush, connected or not-except the top and bottom cards of a straight-flush, such as 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-I'd come in from any position. In late position I'd raise with them." This is where he gets a little loose and following such advice can be dangerous, you have to be real good to play this way and be deep stacked, which isn't usually the case in capped buy-in games. Basically you'd be putting in too much money with hands like this to make it worth your while. For me, at least, such hands work better when I have position and I don't like to be calling reraises with them too often.