Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: First time ever called a donkey - Could it be true?

you probably cant even spell poker
Old 12-26-2005, 01:20 AM

I was called one today. Kid said he's been only playing poker (stud and hold 'em) for 3 months and he's better than me. Of course, he was reduced by my chat, and my chips.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading your responses I have to agree that the check raise move was a pretty bad play. I should have slow played and just called the flop. I am trying to change over from a weak-tight to a classic tight aggressive. Per your advise and Dr. Schoonmaker's in Psychology of Poker (an incredible book in case you haven't read it) one thing I need to change is to slow play more when I have a big hand. You are right I should have won more chips with this hand instead of going for the quick score.

I guess the conclusion is that I did play like a donkey but for reasons different than the players at the table thought. Thanks for the advise and the help towards improving.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think leading out or check/calling the flop are better than the checkraise. You don't want to tip people off that you have a huge hand and give them a chance to get away.

Often times you get lambasted by fish for good standard plays that they don't understand, but most pros and other strong players do.

In this case, almost any player, weak or strong, would call the miniraise from teh BB with a multiway pot and random suited cards.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:56 AM

I was called a donkey for winning this hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t2050)
MP2 (t2745)
MP3 (t1360)
CO (t1245)
Button (t2940)
SB (t1200)
BB (t1520)
UTG (t1300)
UTG+1 (t3285)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t75, BB calls t50.

Flop: (t400) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t400) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls t100, SB folds.

River: (t600) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150.

Final Pot: t900

Results below:
BB has Ts Jc (one pair, jacks).
Hero has 8h Th (flush, jack high).
Outcome: Hero wins t900.

I never once thought that I was not getting a good price on any street with this hand. It was a minraise and I felt that several people would see the flop because of this, a fine situation for a suited one-gapper. I flopped middle pair and got to see the free turn which gave me an inside straght draw and a flush draw. That seemed like a ton of outs (and it was even though the Ten wasn't an out after all) and I only had to call t100 into a t500 pot to see the river. I wanted to say something when villain bitched but decided to let him seethe.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was called a donkey for winning this hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t2050)
MP2 (t2745)
MP3 (t1360)
CO (t1245)
Button (t2940)
SB (t1200)
BB (t1520)
UTG (t1300)
UTG+1 (t3285)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t75, BB calls t50.

Flop: (t400) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t400) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls t100, SB folds.

River: (t600) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150.

Final Pot: t900

Results below:
BB has Ts Jc (one pair, jacks).
Hero has 8h Th (flush, jack high).
Outcome: Hero wins t900.

I never once thought that I was not getting a good price on any street with this hand. It was a minraise and I felt that several people would see the flop because of this, a fine situation for a suited one-gapper. I flopped middle pair and got to see the free turn which gave me an inside straght draw and a flush draw. That seemed like a ton of outs (and it was even though the Ten wasn't an out after all) and I only had to call t100 into a t500 pot to see the river. I wanted to say something when villain bitched but decided to let him seethe.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably should start a new thread, but I will reply. I would not call the miniraise, but it is not terrible and depends on your style and the situation. You wound up having position, but you called from middle position. You might have had to fold this to a preflop raise. Generally, I would save my chips.

You might bet 2nd pair and the backdoor with position on the flop, but checking is OK too.

When you make the flush, I would bet more than 1/4 pot. If you bet 3/4 pot and get called 40% of the time, you are doing much better.

I wouldn't call you a donkey, but I am not real impressed by how you played this.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:34 AM

A donkey??

I'd call you a math genius.

If you don't call here, I'd call you an idiot.

nc

Stipe
Old 12-26-2005, 12:14 PM

Old 12-26-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edited by Jurollo

[/ QUOTE ]

Posted on this thread, because you are looking for donkeys who are suckers to go for this scam.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be stupid people, or you will have the same fate.
~Justin
Old 12-29-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is where everyone went nuts. The button started calling me a donkey

[/ QUOTE ]

A bet, 2 calls, a check-raise, and the button thinks it's a non donkey play to then commit all his chips with top pair on a paired board. And calls the guy with trips a donkey. Classic.

[ QUOTE ]
and some of the others joined in with such things as: how could I call a raise with a trash hand, what a donk play

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good table.