Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Flopping Broadway out of the Small Blind

I rarely slowplay but I wanted to maximize value and since it was an unraised pot, I didn't anticipate anyone having a monster so I thought that playing it fast would lead to folds.

A third spade dropping would have sucked but I was willing to risk it since I hadn't invested much into the pot. In this case, I was risking losing a small(ish) pot in the hopes of winning a big(gish) pot.

Is this a good way to play this or should I always take an aggressive line? In this case, it was a $5.50 (when I'm at work I play smaller limits than when I'm at home) but I wonder about playing it this way even at higher buy-ins (I usually play $11-33).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter

Button (t478)
Hero (t1620)
BB (t1460)
UTG (t1210)
UTG+1 (t4490)
MP1 (t1382)
MP2 (t1390)
CO (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60, BB folds.

Turn: (t180) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t80</font>, Hero calls t80.

River: (t340) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, CO calls t100.

Final Pot: t540
Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Flopping Broadway out of the Small Blind

In our quest to win the monster pots, we often loose a substantial amount in the process. You don't have the nuts here, and there is no certainty CO will fire again on the river. By not raising the flop, you could basically give him two free cards in your attempt to win a big'ish pot. It's reasonable to expect him to have a piece of this broadway flop. I'd make it 150 to go here with the c-raise line. A t40 lead from the blinds might also set you up for a nice reraise situation, when an Ace tries to come over top your apparent FD.

Edit: The play from most is bad enough where you'll win much more playing fast, than you will slow.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:06 PM

Slow-playing this is alright in my opinion. Just beware a third spade falling. However, if you're going to lead the river you might as well have raised after he bet the turn also.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 PM

People love aces.

IMO don't slowplay here...you'll get action on this board.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 PM

I think check raising the flop is fine. A lot of these morons will go broke with Any ace, straight draw, or flush draw. I would personally lead at the flop with a bet a little smaller than the pot. Also keep in mind that when you are playing it slowly... you're not going to win much money if he's bluffing, and if he's drawing to something you might go broke if he hits.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 PM

Get some [censored] chips into the pot when you have the nuts.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:35 PM

You've gotten so little value out of your hand. 2x more chips should have been coming your way. Lead, lead lead.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Villain had a weak Queen. ANy real aggression and he probably goes away. I certainly doubt I was going to get anything else out of him.

That may be results-oriented but in a pot with one late limper and the blinds with all those high cards flopping, what's the strongest hand I am facing here in all likelyhood?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:05 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he had pocked aces. Not that AA is likely but limping with AA seems popular these days.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:03 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet, but...

how the hell do you have the 50 minutes straight to play a SNG at work? What do you do? Are you of any value to your company? (?????)