Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: GIGABET.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, Gigabet saw one high card on the board and figured this is a good board to bluff at. If she didn't have AK, KK, AA, or QQ, she might not have been able to call. The problem is that when a solid player reraises preflop, she is likely to have one of those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigabet thought she would lay down anything except KK and 66, due to her previous laydown of KK vs. a T66 board. AK, AA, QQ...all folds.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, Gigabet saw one high card on the board and figured this is a good board to bluff at. If she didn't have AK, KK, AA, or QQ, she might not have been able to call. The problem is that when a solid player reraises preflop, she is likely to have one of those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigabet thought she would lay down anything except KK and 66, due to her previous laydown of KK vs. a T66 board. AK, AA, QQ...all folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose she has such a big stack so late in this tough a tournament because other people weretrying tobluff heroff the nuts.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:25 PM

I agree that that would have been an awfully strange line for J.J. to have aces there, if she had the intention of folding on the river to a big bet if a blank hit. Seems like she'd have folded or raised the turn unless it was her intent to call down. I can certainly see how Giga's line folds KQ, KJ, and QQ though. Not sure about AK.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Question for Darrell-

Did your cards have any relevance in your decision to call the preflop raise, or would you have called with any two with the intention of running that bluff on a perceived favorable flop?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that that would have been an awfully strange line for J.J. to have aces there, if she had the intention of folding on the river to a big bet if a blank hit. Seems like she'd have folded or raised the turn unless it was her intent to call down. I can certainly see how Giga's line folds KQ, KJ, and QQ though. Not sure about AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the villain also has to have 6x in the back of her mind.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems unlikely she would reraise with KQ or KJ. Plus it is unlikely that Gigabet would flat call with AK, KK or AA. So it would seem hard to fold a K on this board.

The aggression might get her to fold TT-QQ. However, despite the fact that Gigabet says he hasn't been caught bluffing, I am sure she is aware of his reputation.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the villain also has to have 6x in the back of her mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, but wouldn't it still make sense that the turn would be decision time? She has to know that Giga is sophisticated enough to run a two-street bluff there. Seems to me that if she called the turn, then folded the river with AA, her thought process would've been along the lines of "Eh, I'll call here because my hand is pretty. There's no way he'll bet into me twice without the goods." While possible I guess, that seems to be a pretty rudimentary way to play the hand, and unlikely at this stage of the tournament.

Having said that, I think it was a well-run bluff, and Giga simply got unlucky that J.J. had the hand that she did. All I was saying is that I might add AA and 6X (which is very unlikely given the preflop action), into the range of hands that he's getting caught with.

Who am I to question Giga's read though - he certainly has a better grasp on that situation (and tournament play in general) than I likely ever will.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:54 PM

Gigabet himself gets pretty detailed about this hand over on STTF. Makes me feel pretty sheepish about my little comment on this board.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:59 PM

nevermind
Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM

All,

It appears there is a thread discussing this hand in every forum. WTF?