Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Value betting Ace high against calling stations?

In a 2 or 3 person match, how do you handle a calling station with your Ace high hand, for example A 8 offsuit?

In Tex Hold em for advanced players (short handed section) Sklansky and Malmuth suggest a "tourist strategy" against such players, i.e., just call before the flop. However, here and elsewhere I've heard you should always raise first in.

Imagine that your opponent calls every flop and turn with just about anything, including gutshots, and will call to the river with any pair. Given that, how do you handle each street. If you miss the flop and turn with your A 8? Can you continue to value bet? Do you stop bettting as soon as you miss the flop?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Value betting Ace high against calling stations?

Preflop with A8o you have an equity advantage against 1-2 average hands. If you'll be called, raise.

Against a pure calling station (theoretical) I'd bet or check each street depending on my estimated pot equity. (pair or better = bet obviously).

Is Ace-high ahead against an average hand? I'm not sure - I think it's close to 50/50 that an average hand will hit at least a pair by the river. Anyone want to research this? I figure on the flop, you still have an equity edge, but by the river your edge is close to nil, so check the river and showdown for "free"
Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Usually HU I bet in these situations, however against a calling station you lose value because you're not really semi-bluffing here. In other words, without the chance that you're opponent is folding you're really betting hoping you still have the best hand. I still like betting though just because you don't want him to catch on that you're only betting a hand with a pair or better. This is also something that I have trouble with and would like other's opinions on this. For example, if we bet the flop many calling stations will call but then give up on the turn if they don't make something. However, when you bet now you're usually getting called by a better hand in these situations but your bet will probably allow you to take the free showdown. In a 2 or 3 person match I like betting in both places as it disguises the strength of your hand when you do make a good hand as well as being able to win sometimes with these hands.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:20 PM

I like your points arrgh. Now, shifting to the other issue: what do you think of Sklansky and Malmuth's suggestion--that is simply calling with the A 8 before the flop to see what comes? I think they say to try that and if it is checked to you on the flop to go ahead and bet it.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:00 PM

One thing to remember about the S&M limp on the button play, is that they advocate this when both blinds are loose. If you are 3-handed and both blinds are calling most of your button raises and will co-operate and check the flop when they miss then go ahead and limp with your weaker holdings (I'd say A8o is probably good enough to fire the raise anyway).

If only one of the blinds is defending all the time then you lose more preflop than you gain postflop by not raising.