Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Default \"Do you want me to call?\"

Last night in our tournament, 4 players left out of 20, pays 3, here's what happened:
<ul type="square">
UTG calls
button folds
small blind (me) goes all in (pocket 7s)
big blind (who has everyone covered) shows me his cards and asks me if I want him to call[/list]
He's a funny guy and I took this as just one of his antics, but how should I respond to that? (BTW, he had AJo). Is this considered not cool, fair game, or what? I didn't mind because it's just a home game, but I was at a loss for how to respond.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: \"Do you want me to call?\"

Hard to know what to do without payout schedule and chip counts, but off the top of my head just say "well you're behind but you have one over (mess with him just a little), but I don't want you sucking out on me" or something akin to that.
That said, call and play post flop, don't get crazy on the bubble.

Cody
Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night in our tournament, 4 players left out of 20, pays 3, here's what happened:
<ul type="square">
UTG calls
button folds
small blind (me) goes all in (pocket 7s)
big blind (who has everyone covered) shows me his cards and asks me if I want him to call[/list]
He's a funny guy and I took this as just one of his antics, but how should I respond to that? (BTW, he had AJo). Is this considered not cool, fair game, or what? I didn't mind because it's just a home game, but I was at a loss for how to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell him to show the other one and you'll let him know.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:51 PM

It's not cool because UTG is still in the hand (unless I'm misunderstanding) - BB's hand should be declared dead.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:30 AM

Hand is dead because UTG is still to act. Assuming this was not the case, don't say anything. If he does this a lot, always answer yes or no, it doesn't matter --- if you're consistent he'll gain nothing. Best practice is to not say a word.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM

"Heads I want you to call, tails I don't"

then flip the quarter.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, call and play post flop, don't get crazy on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty difficult to give advice like this without any information (i.e. chip counts, payout schedule, blinds, etc.)
Old 11-17-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand is dead because UTG is still to act. Assuming this was not the case, don't say anything. If he does this a lot, always answer yes or no, it doesn't matter --- if you're consistent he'll gain nothing. Best practice is to not say a word.

[/ QUOTE ]

His hand is not dead. According to Robert's rules of Poker, he must now show his cards to the UTG player.

According to the TDA rules for tourney play, a penalty may be imposed for exposing his cards with action pending. Killing his hand is not one of the penalties that may be imposed

edit: I actually got that killing his hand is not one of the penalties by looking at the penalties section. But the matter is more specifically addresed in the TDA rules:

"A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty, but will not have his hand killed."

end edit.

Zetack
Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 PM

If this is a home game, it's the host's call. That being said, the fair thing to do is to show his cards to all players. Show one, show all.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM

So according to Roberts Rules of poker and TDA rules, even the hand is heads up and one player is all in, is it legal for the other player to show his and and ask this question?

Player A is all in, everyone folds to player B who is the only other player in the pot. Can he flip his cards and ask this question?

I know it's a different story in some other cards games, like Five draw but what about in HE?

JMB