Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM

Default how bad is my play here?

NLHE 5/10
9 handed
Stacks: Hero (1500$), Vilain has about the same stack
Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG limps. UTG is 30/6/3.5
MP3 (Vilain) raises to 60. Vilain is 29/9/2
CO (Hero) calls
Although i'm new to this game, i'm likely to have a solid image, vilain has to put me on something if i call a raise or raise myself.
UTG folds

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> Pot=150
Vilain bets 100
Hero raises to 300
Vilain calls

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> Pot=750
Vilain checks
Hero bets 200
Vilain calls
River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> Pot=1150
Vilain checks
Hero bets 400
Vilain calls

I don't like my play here but don't know what i should have done. I'm ok with my preflop call and flop raise. Maybe i should have raised a little bit more on this flop, as i may have raised with an overpair.
Then my turn and river bets are strange. I dont like those 2 cards, if my opponent has an overpair, he has now trips and is gonna raise me, or he has an underpair and won't give me much action or fold. Only interest of those turn/river small bets: he could put me on a medium pair (says tens) that would bet for walue turn and river (tough value bet on river if i had tens though)
So, should i check the turn and value bet the river, in case he checks with AK? Or should i bet both streets? Then should i immediatly fold to a C/R?
I'll disclose vilain's cards later.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: how bad is my play here?

I would have raised more on the flop, and bet more on the turn.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised more on the flop, and bet more on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM

I think the flop raise is fine, but I think on the turn you could have definately put more in. I'd say around 400-500 into a the 750 pot. Just betting 200 gives him almost 5-1 odds to make a call and after the flop rereaise he should be suspicious as to why you want him to call so bad. Another normal continuation bet of a little of half the pot on the turn may cause him more confusion.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't say you're play was bad at all. Just bet more on the turn.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 PM

i thought my play was bad for two reasons:
=&gt;my small bets on turn/river look quite fishy. These bets are begging for a call. He must know i'm gonna beat a mere pocket pair
=&gt;my bets give him the opportunity to C/R me and put me on a tough decision. I think i'd lay down my hand had i been C/Red, putting him on a set.

Vilain had kings. I don't understand why he called my two bets on turn and river. May be he puts me on jacks, he feels that the ace and the queen make it less likely that i have AA or QQ and so his "read" on me having jacks would be confirmed? He can't put me on AhKh as he has the king of hearts.

So u think i should bet more on turn to make it appear less "fishy", ok. If called, i guess i must check the river then?
With an hefty bet on turn, the pb is: what do i do if i get c/red? Would be very tough for me as he could have trips aces or AhKh (TPTK+nut flush draw). I have no idea if i'd call a turn C/R if i bet big like u suggest.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:41 PM

Although it is possible villian hit hit two outer, his range of hands is much broader than just AA or QQ.
Also, you can't think villian is definately putting you on exactly 22 or a 3. I think it would be hard not to call an all in check/raise with this hand. Especially when your weak bets on the later streets could be interpretted as blocking bets.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 PM

these can't be blocking bets, i am the last to act