Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Artichoke Joe\'s v. Lucky Chances

Anyone played in the 15/30 game at Artichoke Joe's? If so, do you have any comments about the game?

More generally, for people who have played at both, which do you like better? I've played a few times at LC, and found the games to be just fantastic, all the way up to 9-18. I wish AJ's spread something like 10/20, but no such luck. It's kind of a big gap that AJs spreads, 6/12, then 15/30.

I may end up at Bay 101 one of these days, but the drive is a bit long for me to justify.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Artichoke Joe\'s v. Lucky Chances

Keep in mind I havent been there in two years. I used to play at both places almost daily tho. AJ's used to only have 1 15-30 game so it was lineup dependent. Tommy Angelo and 1-2 other excellent players but the game was usually still well worth it.

In regards to your 10-20 question. 9-18 plays much much higher than 10-20. The visual of more chips in the pot in a 3 chip-6 chip game creates more action vs a 2 chip 4 chip game. Be thankful they dont have 10-20.

The games were always good at both locales.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 PM

I am partial to the AJ's 15-30 game. Perhaps only for nostalgic reasons though. That game seemed to be consistently soft whereas the LC 20-40 game was usually soft, but occasionally somewhat tough. It's been a year or more since I played either on a regular basis. I probably play them about once a month now, maybe less.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:54 AM

I played in both the LC 20-40 (nighttime) as well as the AJ's 15-30 daytime game on my recent visit to the bay area. I must say that the 15-30 at AJ's was probably the softest game I played in all of the bay area (between the LC 20-40, Oaks Club 30-60, AJ's 15-30, and the Bay 101 20-40). Perhaps it was just the time I went, but it was a Friday afternoon, right after I got off the plane. Most of the table were passive soft players with one or two rocks. A good game. The LC 20 game on the other hand was a lot more aggressive. The hand selection was about the same as the players at AJ's, but with aggression X5. Both great games. Just depends on your playing styles, and whether you prefer passive players who call you down, or crazy overaggressive players who overplay their hands.

-Tik
Old 10-05-2005, 07:05 PM

The 15/30 at AJ's is consistently one of the softest mid limit games in the Bay Area. It's also slow (no shuffle machines, annoying rake structure where the dealer needs to make lots of change, and not very good dealers). I used to play there a fair amount when I was working my way up to the mid limits, but now the little annoyances in the game just irritate me.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:14 PM

So I've now played in the 15 game at AJs twice now. That game is seriously soft. Granted, it's probably tougher than any other live game I've played, but still softer than almost any 3/6 internet game I've played.

If I had more time, I would be hanging out with the folks at AJs way more often.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:45 PM

AJ's rules.