Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Rail cutout lines

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wanted to get a big, ole' wooden compass, like our geometry teacher used on the chalk board. After finally finding one, it wasnt big enough.

I made my own, by using two yard sticks, with a hole drilled in their centers, and a nut/bolt for the axis, and a pair of vice-grip pliers to hold them at a constant position.

This worked better than the length of twine and a screw method.

NEXT TIME : I plan on using a single yardstick, flat on the plywood. It will have small hole in its center at one end. This is to accomodate the screw, which is placed at the common center for the circle arcs.

Then, at various lengths, drill smaller holes which will just accomodate a pencil lead. Rotate it, and you have a perfect, constant, smooth arc. different radii for inner, and outer rail circumferences.

When using two pieces of plywood (one for the table, and one for the rail), it is imperative that you start by lining them up, clamping them tight, and drilling that center hole for the arc through BOTH boards at the same time.
Then everything else will line up perfectly.

Aces,
doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this is pretty much what I ended up doing. I didn't have a yard stick, but I had a think piece of plastic molding that was about 3 feet long. I drilled a hole in it, drove a screw into the hole at the center of my radii, and then drilled another hole 24" away. Perfect circles. Then used a piece of board to draw the straight edges connecting my arcs. Just wish I could actually do a straight line with the jigsaw, but that's another matter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Building a home Poker Table

I am working on some plans for all who are interested.
Poker table
As for the wood inset, I use 3/4" birch for the base of the table and use a 1/2" sheet of plywood for the rail, playing surface and wood inset template. After I cut out the rail and playing surface, what I have left is the template. works perfect.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:34 AM

Best looking table I have seen...please help... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Velveteen or poker table felt for the surface????

I built myself a poker table about 6 years ago in high school woodshop, and I made the unfortunate decision to use craft felt for the playing surface. It pills and is terrible. The time has come for me to replace it, and I was wondering what type of felt I should use.

I think there are 3 options:
1) pool table felt, which can be expensive
2) poker table felt, which I can get for abuot $38 with shipping
3) velveteen, which an ebay powerseller claims is better than poker table felt. It will cost around the same as poker table felt.

So, I think it is a choice between 2 and 3. Any thoughts?
Old 08-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Just curious i guess. Can you long timer carpel tunnelers tell me if this is the most viewed thread on forum? It's the biggest I've seen.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious i guess. Can you long timer carpel tunnelers tell me if this is the most viewed thread on forum? It's the biggest I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can sort by views or replies, and yes, it is the most viewed for THIS forum. [Also change your option to "VIEW ALL" at the bottom of that page] I heard others say that the most viewed of ALL is a Britney Spears post, or a Shana Hiatt or something nekkid. Probably in the "Other" forum. (Enter the "Other" forum at your own risk; you can get hit hard with flying Bush-hater mudd)
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Ten
Old 08-30-2004, 11:07 PM

When I built my table about 9 years ago (Octagonal, 58" across, Hardwood Plywood octagon, Solid Cherry Perimeter Trays, DrinkHolders, and Trim) I called Gambler's General Store in Vegas and asked to speak with someone about Poker Felt.

The guy seemed knowledged and said the best thing they had was nothing at like "Poker Felt". I was skeptical but had him send me some. It was something like $15/yd at the time.

When it arrived, I was still somewhat skeptical.

This stuff was very heavy (think heaviness of demin material on non-prewashed jeans ... but maybe a little softer). There is a Raised Diamond pattern woven into the fabric and damn if it doesn't just make a fabulous looking table. I know it looks great on an octogon and think it would do well on an oval table.

I'd say call some supply store out and talk to the guys.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:24 AM

Anything yet on those plans
Old 08-31-2004, 10:18 PM

Here's some poor quality pictures that might give you an idea about what I was talking about with the Poker Cloth I went with:

Poker Table w/Heavy Texture Fabric Cloth
Old 09-01-2004, 09:56 AM

Has it lasted all of this time?