Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 AM

Default My second time multi-tabling...

Easing into multi-tabling, I was playing two tables at once. I was in a very promising hand on the other table and let this one go. Thoughts?

No one's very aggressive at this table (like BB who called two bets on the river with the nuts). Capping the flop happened just twice in the 100+ hands I was there.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero folds
Old 09-22-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: My second time multi-tabling...

Raise preflop. I wouldn't fold the second time, even if you discount your overcard outs entirely, and discount your straight and BD flush outs for the times one of them makes a full house, you have ~5 outs here. Getting ~7 to 1 plus implied odds makes this a call IMO.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:21 AM

At a passive table like this one I'm folding faster than Superman on laundry day, on the first raise made by MP1 on the flop. I cant see any implied odds rescuing this from a fold.
You've probably got about 3,5 outs from the jacks and one out from your BDFD to the 2nd nuts. I have serious doubts about your overcards giving you any outs in this situation. In my experience (about 30k hands) very few of the passive party players know how to protect a hand, and wont reraise without a made hand of some sort. I'd put MP1 on a set or two pairs, meaning you're way behind. BB perhaps going a bit wild on a flush draw?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:05 AM

I almost kicked myself in the nuts for not raising pre-flop. I've been playing straight from SSHE for the last couple of weeks and blew it on this one.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put MP1 on a set or two pairs, meaning you're way behind. BB perhaps going a bit wild on a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I thought. MP1 with 98 and BB with Ace-high flush draw. MP1 is way ahead and BB trying to build a pot in case his nut flush came through.

I figured my overcard outs were garbage, leaving me 3 for the non-heart jacks and 1.5 for the flush.

I think if I was playing at just this table, I might have stuck with it...implied odds and all. But two-tabling with action on the other, I figured I should cut my losses.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 AM

if you would have raised preflop the whole hand probably would have played differently
Old 09-22-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you would have raised preflop the whole hand probably would have played differently

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly...but the...uh...cat...uh...jumped on the keyboard. Yeah, that's it.

Not raising was ridiculously dumb...but I was caught up in my other table.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:14 PM

I don't call 2 bets to me on the flop. Pot is small. We can agree we're behind since we're facing a bet and a raise, and we even lose to ace-high. Outs are 1.5 each for the overcards, 4 Js, and 1.5 for the bdfd, plus the J, Q, and K of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s are dirty and should be discounted. Say 7 outs X 2= 14%. You can not call two cold here.

Ironically enough, you could almost call getting 13:2 when the action gets back to you. So if my math is right, you called when you should have folded, and folded when you could have called.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:21 PM

Looks like you were concentrating too closely to the hand on the other table. Obviously, you should have raised pf (and you know that now from other posters [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), and that could have changed this whole hand. Multi-tabling requires that you pay a little less attention to an individual table and basically play ABC poker on all tables (at least for those of us who are multi-tabling novices).

If you spend too much of your enengy concentrating one table, you'll find yourself making inconsistant decisions like these:

calling 2 bets when there are 8 bets in the pot with 3 outs to the nuts, 1 out to a non-nut straight, 3 (discounted) overcard outs, and a backdoor flush draw.

and then you fold to 2 bets when there are 14 bets in the pot?

Those 2 decisions are very inconsistent.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:29 PM

I do agree with this point, that calling the flop the first time but not the second doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're calling the first time you should have called the second one as your pot odds are much better then second time around.

A couple things about multitabling are that you still have some time alotted to make the decision, so you should focus on the hand requiring your action at the moment then move back to the promising table. And in a situation like this, after calling the first 2 on the flop, you should have been prepared for the scenario that it was coming back raised to you. Once you decide to call the first time you should think "okay I called two so I'm auto calling any number coming back."

In other cases you may plan "I'm calling one but not 2 coming back" or whatever, but you can plan the next action as you make the first call.