Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 09:23 PM

Default alright, let me see if I can avoid butchering this one

Sorry again about that last one. This is the next hand in the book and the last one I'm going to post because of my respect for authors, copyrights, royalties, etc.

By the by, every one of you should buy and read and reread Bryon Jacobs *How Good is Your Limit Hold Em.* Its a workbook type choose your own adventure text, and its really, really good. I'm only 10% through so I'll save the *excellent* rating for later, but so far its heading that way.

Anyhoo, this is another $15-30 game, 8 handed.

You raise in LMP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The button (rock who is very tight, very passive. He doesn't often raise, even his good hands. He *never* bluffs.) 3-bets. The BB, a lag who is more laggy than normal and right now spewing caps. You call, Rock calls.

The flop comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The BB bets. You?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: alright, let me see if I can avoid butchering this one

easy fold IMO.

Well......thinking about it a little more if you think you can push button off of AK then a raise might be in order as you are probably ahead of the LAG a fair portion of the time.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 PM

This one has been posted and discussed before. I believe the thread was started by your boy steamboatin.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one has been posted and discussed before. I believe the thread was started by your boy steamboatin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies. I missed that one. Others may have....
Old 11-02-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apologies. I missed that one. Others may have....

[/ QUOTE ]
I think everyone missed it because of who the OP was last time around. I'll reserve what I think is good since I remember the discussion from last time, but I think it's an interesting hand, and I'm also a little into the book and think it's good so far.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:44 PM

So we have 13SB in this 3-way pot... I think I want to raise, if our read on button is that strong. The only thing is, I don't know if I can fire another barrel on the turn if button sticks around...
Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I want to raise, if our read on button is that strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have the the understanding of the read backwards. Think about it... how will the rockish player react if you raise? How will the rock react if you call?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I want to raise, if our read on button is that strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have the the understanding of the read backwards. Think about it... how will the rockish player react if you raise? How will the rock react if you call?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems like he'll call either way with an overpair, and he'll fold UIed overcards... no?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:21 PM

Am I the only one who just wants to fold this preflop? You're looking at about 10:2 pot odds and the read on Button says that he isn't 3-betting with anything that we have more than 3 outs against (if even that). We can't respect the cap by BB, but we most certainly can respect the 3-bet from Button, and the cap just gives us a good excuse to save 2 SBs.

But, since we're in the hand...this is an obvious raise or fold situation. I don't think Button is folding to a raise, and if Button doesn't do it BB probably will 3-bet, so it seems to me like putting any more chips into this pot is a bad idea, even getting 13:1.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:21 PM

I might fold preflop. With BB being nuts and Rock super-predictable...I don't know. I'd call, not sure how correct that is.

Raising the flop is a good idea if Button will act very simply - folding overcards and coldcalling or 3-betting pairs. I'm not sure this happens all the time. Maybe. Then he could coldcall and you're stuck wondering what to do on the turn. I used to raise here a lot more often than I do now...dunno.

If you call, though, a predictable Button should raise most overpairs and call his overcards (it's hard to pin down Button's range, but AQ+ TT+ should be a reasonable minimum). Meanwhile the wild, tilting flop bettor could hold a huge range of hands - it's reasonable to assume you are ahead a large % of the time versus this player.

If Button raises, I'm done with the hand. If he overcalls, there is no fear of a slowplay and I can simply raise the turn UI (maybe not a K - depends on Rock's range of 3-bet hands vs. coldcall/fold hands preflop IMO) and take the free showdown against the LAG. The rock might even lay down some smaller pocket pairs.